Captain's Kid

POV: Demi

I've never seen Sam this bad off before. Not once. Even when she was in rehab. It's about a twenty hour surgery, due to it being in her brain, so Sam has been on edge for hours now. She can't stop crying. I've tried to stop them, hell, everyone here has tried to stop their Captain from crying.

"What if she doesn't make it?" Sam sat in between her mother and I while her six brothers sat in a semi circle on the floor surrounding us. Kirt went and got Baymax so he wouldn't be alone and go crazy without his handler.

"She's going to make it." Erik's voice cracked. "She has to."

"Sam, she is your daughter. She is strong. She's going to make it." Sam's mom held one of her hands and I held the other.

"They know you'll kick their asses if they don't do everything than can to their best ability. They're going to save Captain's kid." Yale tried to chuckle to lighten up the situation, but he couldn't even fake one.

Sam and all of her brothers took off their right shoe and put it in the center of all of them earlier. It's how they pray in silence.

"Are you Teagan Ranklen's mother?" Some guy with a clipboard asked Sam who was still crying.

"Yeah," Sam didn't even look up at him.

"She's going to be okay. Her eyesight is damaged. We don't know how much, but we know it's damaged. A sample of the tumor has already been shipped off to the lab to make sure it isn't cancerous. I personally don't believe it is, due to the weight and density, but it's better to be safe than sorry." He gave me a small smile before looking back over at Sam who still had her head down.

"Is there any damage to her brain in general?" Sam asked just above a whisper.

"She will have to be awake and alert to make sure, but we got it at the perfect time and it wasn't even really connected to much so it was a clean cut." He smiled at Sam when she lifted her head up to look at him.

"Thank you." Sam's face screamed relief, but she knew Teagan wasn't completely in the clear yet. "When can I see her?"

"In a few hours. We want to keep her on close watch for a little bit longer just to make sure she is stable enough to be taken to a recovery room." He nodded.

For the first time in two days I've seen Sam smile.

We watched as the doctor walked away and Sam had a small smile growing on her face.

"She's a strong girl Sam. She got it from the best." I whispered in a calm tone.

"Bad eyesight isn't a big deal. I work with microscopic stuff all the time and I'm almost blind." Erik spoke up.

"We all know that. You can't see shit without your glasses or contacts." Jason chuckled.

"Remember when Erik first met Sam and he asked her why her eye color was black?" Yale started to laugh.

"Yeah, and he thought I was some mythological creature, but in reality he only had one contact in because he forgot to put the other one in." Sam chuckled.

"Yeah, but do you remember the time where Mike almost blew up the tent because he forgot to put the explosives away when we somehow got people to clean our tent really well for us? The floor cleaner almost set them off." Erik shot back.

We all started to crack up, including Sam's mom.

"Remember when Rick told he found Sam a boyfriend and she looked at the guy with pure disgust?" Kirt started to laugh so hard that his face was turning red.

"It was that day when we knew that Sam was indeed gay as fuck." Rick laughed.

I started to laugh pretty damn hard.

"You tried to hook Sam up with a guy?" I asked Rick as my eyes watered up.

"Hey, one of my old friends thought she was pretty so I was straight forward and come to find out she was gay. She looked me dead in the eyes and went 'Rick, I'm gay' and then walked away." Rick tried to defend himself, but when he did his Sam impression we all started to laugh even harder.

—————————————————————

POV: Sam

I sent everyone home since they were all exhausted. It took some serious prying to get Demi to go back to my house. She didn't want me to be here alone. She refused to go back to her hotel since it's even further away than my house by about forty or so minutes.

"Captain, you can come see her now." An older lady with a soft voice smiled down at me as I sat on the floor, leaning against the wall just outside the locked door of Teagan's recovery room.

My face lit up and I almost fell when I stood up from standing up so fast. Plus, I was half asleep.

I slowly walked into the room when the nurse unlocked the door with her card.

She was hooked up to so many wires. Some were in her head. There was a bald patch no bigger than a a golfball.

"Hey Teag." I whispered, not knowing if she is conscious or not.

All I got was a mumble.

"It's me baby. I'm here." I whispered and walked over to her.

I saw a smile appear on her lips when she heard my voice come closer.

"I'm here." I carefully took her hand in mine and rubbed the back of her hand. "I'm not going anywhere."

Her eyelids kept twitching.

"You don't need to open your eyes baby. I'm here, and I can promise you I'm not going anywhere." I smiled down at her, not caring that she can't see me.

POV: Demi

I came as soon as Sam's mom gave me the call that she was with Sam and Teagan, but she had to leave and she wanted me to come be with Sam.

When I walked into the room where the nurse led me, I couldn't help but smile at the sight of Sam asleep at Teagan's bedside with one of her hands still holding Teagan's.

"I've tried to give her a chair, but she refuses to leave that spot." A nurse who was checking Teagan's vitals whispered to me.

"Sounds about right. She's stubborn as hell, but she's got a heart." I smiled at the nurse before walking over to Sam's side.

I bent down to her level with a bottle of water and a pack of crackers in each hand.

"Sam, wake up. You need to eat." I nudged her knee slightly with my hand that had the bottle of water in it.

The only response I got was a hum.

"Sam, you need to eat. Wake up." I spoke in a more stern tone so she would actually wake up. I know she hasn't slept much the past three days, but she hasn't eaten much either.

Sam finally opened her eyes and looked back at me with her two light green pools that anyone could get lost in.

"I brought you a snack. If you eat it, I'll let you go back to sleep." I leaned in and kissed her forehead before opening the pack of crackers for her as she opened the bottle of water and pressed it to her lips.

"Thank you." Sam gave me a tired smile.

"You're welcome Love. Please get off of the hard tile floor and sit in a chair. I will bring one to you." I gave her the pleading eyes she can never say no to.

Sam nodded, so I quickly stood up and walked over to the corner of the room and grabbed both of the chairs.

She gave me a confused expression when I put both down beside the bed. "I'm not leaving." I grabbed her free hand before putting it in my lap so I could play with her fingers.

"I love you." Sam smiled over at me.

"I love you too."