Chapter Twenty-Six: The Engagement Party

“It’ll be okay,” Monica whispered as she gave Alyssa’s hand a squeeze of comfort as they stepped into the restaurant where her engagement party was being held.

They both remembered the last time that the four families had been together for a meal and it hadn’t ended well.

Alyssa nodded her head as she checked her nude crochet hem 3/4 sleeve dress paired with white patent sling back wedges, she felt nervous and a little nauseous.

“Alyssa,” Amelia fussed as she walked over to her daughter and hugged her, she peeked back at Paqui who was sitting at the bar glaring at them; she wasn’t happy about this and she never would be.

Alyssa pulled back and offered her mother a weak smile, she hadn’t wanted the engagement party and it was only at her fiancés insistence that there would be no trouble that she has agreed.

“A little warning… Vicente and his wife are here,” Amelia whispered as she peeked over at her husband’s parents, there was still a divide between the family and Vicente seemed determined to make amends for what had happened in the past.

Alyssa nodded as she looked over at Vicente and Trinidad, she knew that she wasn’t on the best of terms with them even if she still worked for Vicente; she could never really see them as her grandparents.

“Let’s get you a drink,” Monica said wrapping an arm around Alyssa’s shoulder and leading her to the bar for a non-alcoholic beverage.

Alyssa nodded as she took a deep breath, she knew that it was going to be a long night and she hoped that there weren’t going to be any problems at this party.

***

“Alyssa it’s wonderful to see you,” Trinidad said as she walked over to Alyssa, she hadn’t been able to stay away and she wanted to get closer to her granddaughter; she was tired of being pushed away by her eldest grandchildren.

Alyssa took a deep breath as she turned to look at Trinidad, she would never forgive her for what she had done to Amelia and David; she had caused so much trouble with her lies.

“How are things going with the wedding planning?” Trinidad asked eagerly, she didn’t know much about Alyssa’s personal life and was thrilled when an invite had arrived for the wedding reception for her wedding.

Vicente had her worried that Alyssa wouldn’t want them there on her special day and now that they had the invite they were so excited even if David was being difficult about what was happening.

“They are going well,” Alyssa said politely, she had no time for the woman that had destroyed her parents’ relationship before she was even born and she knew that Trinidad only cared about saving face now.

Alyssa sipped on her drink, her brown eyes moving around the room as she thought about her impending marriage; she couldn’t wait for her wedding day to arrive.

“I hear that you are thirteen weeks pregnant,” Trinidad said as she tried to continue the conversation, she wasn’t about to give up on Alyssa and she knew that she had to get to know her grandchildren while she had the chance.

Paqui snorted making Alyssa look at her, she hadn’t realised that Sergio’s mother was standing so close to her; she swallowed knowing how much the woman disliked her.

“A child that will never have a real padre in it’s life,” Paqui said as she stared at Alyssa, she didn’t know why her son seemed so enchanted with the brunette but she was here to make sure that he knew what he was getting into by marrying her.

“It’ll have three padres… we have talked about this madre,” Sergio said as he walked over to Alyssa and wrapped his arm around her waist, he didn’t want her left alone with his mother for any reason.

Alyssa looked at him relieved as she leant into him, she watched as Paqui clicked her tongue at what her son had said; she was hoping that the baby was Iker’s so that her son had no attachment to the brunette gold-digger.

“Why don’t we go and see your parents,” Sergio said as he looked at Alyssa, he pressed a kiss to her cheek as he carefully led her away from the two women that had cornered her as he wondered why everyone couldn’t just be happy for them.

Alyssa sighed in relief as they walked away, she hated to think what would have happened if she had remained there; it clearly wouldn’t have ended well.

“David, Amelia,” Sergio greeted as he released his hold on Alyssa, he nodded at her parents knowing that this wasn’t the time or place for anyone to be fighting.

David nodded his head at the Sevillian, he was still upset that his daughter was marrying the three footballers’ and having a baby of her own but he was slowly coming around to what was happening.

“You look beautiful Alyssa,” David said as he smiled uncertainly at his daughter, he wanted to make things right between them and Alyssa seemed to be glowing right now.

                                                                         ***

“I love you,” Fernando whispered as he sneakily stole a kiss, he grinned wrapping his arms around Alyssa as the evening came to an end; it had gone better than anyone had thought even if Paqui had gotten a little drunk.

Alyssa smiled at him as she glanced back at Sergio’s mother who was being helped out of the restaurant by Sergio and José María so that they could head back to their apartment for the night.

“How are you feeling?” Fernando asked as he watched Paqui leave, he hadn’t seen much of his fiancée and he was glad to see there hadn’t been any fights this time.

Alyssa’s parents had already headed home since they had to relieve the babysitter who had Adelaide for the evening since she was only seven months old.

“I feel fine,” Alyssa reassured him as she rested her head against his shoulder, her brown eyes watching as people prepared to leave; Iker was chatting with his parents who were thrilled with the idea of their eldest son getting married.

Fernando nodded his head as he brushed his fingers against her back, he closed his eyes knowing that they had only a few weeks until their wedding day and he couldn’t wait.

“Are you tired?” Alyssa asked as she pulled back from Fernando and looked at him, she knew it had been a long day and he’d been up early since his parents had wished to see him before the party.

Fernando nodded his head as he smiled at Alyssa, he pressed a kiss to her head as he pulled back from her; his parents were preparing to leave and he had to say goodbye to them.

Monica was quickly by Alyssa’s side smiling, the party had been wonderful and it was clear to see that everyone was happy for the foursome and there was only a few that struggled with the odd relationship.

“So this weekend wedding dress shopping,” Monica said grinning at Alyssa, she was sure that they would find Alyssa the perfect two dresses for the ceremony and reception; they would need to search quickly if they wanted to find the right dress for her.

“I can’t wait,” Alyssa said with a smile as she looked over at Iker, Fernando and Sergio; it would be worth it on the day when they saw her in the dress that she had chosen.