Merry Christmas

Terra was sleeping with one arm hanging over the edge of the bed and from here I could see the pink scar tissue still trying to heal horizontally above the heel of her palm. It was clear she hadn't intended to kill herself; she'd gone across the street, not up the river, but she still got herself pretty good. I felt guilty she had done that to herself just to further our plans, though I know I wouldn't have been able to talk her out of it. It's propbably why she kept me out of the loop in the first place.

I had been a little disapointed when my visit with Barry the other day was still in the visiting hall that consisted of glass dividers and phone recievers, but I didn't let it dampen the visit. Almost nothing could. Despite that, I was feeling particularly generous this morning. Carefully getting off my bed, I reached under and grabbed the flower I had carefully hidden underneath.

Terra was like this little desert flower, surviving in the harshest conditions and even blooming to her full potential. I had a feeling she'd appreciate it even without knowing I compared her to it. She had chosen to sleep in today, which makes sense, as sleeping in was a rarity here. I was going through all my old drawings and found one from the begining of my time here.

I had been to Central City on several occasions, none of them being to sight-see, but I had the opportunity to watch the sun rise in this cute little park. I drew it from memory, I'd have to go back to the park to see how accurate my memory held. I stared at this one alone until Boles approached the doors. "Andy, you have a visitor." It was fairly early, visiting hours must've just opened. With an inkling of excitement, I took the picture with me as Boles led me around. It was a Monday, but Barry would hold true to his word. I knew that by this point.

"Going home for the holidays, Boles?" I questioned.

"What do you care?" he scoffed, quirking a suspicous eyebrow.

"Just asking, damn," I chuckled, shifting my arm in his hold.

It took a moment, but he sighed. "My daughter's probably opening her presents right about now. Hope my wife is taking pictures."

"Good for you," I noted with a small smile. "Don't blink; she'll grow and you'll be an old man before you know it."

"I already have," he chuckled. "It seems like only yesterday we were bringing her home, now she's too smart for her own good." We both fell silent just before we reached the double doors, my smile broadening when I found Barry waiting at the table again. It was extremely early, visiting hours wise, and he was the only civilian in the room, leaving us alone with the exception of the guards.

Just like the first time we saw each other in here, he stood as I neared and welcomed my hug with open arms. He smelled like the outside world and he was warm, his hold able to push the prison from my mind. "Merry Christmas, Andy," he spoke into my ear, the same way he wished me a happy birthday.

"Merry Christmas, Barry," I mumbled back, hesitantly pulling myself away from his flannel sweater. It was only when we sat down that I saw a Prismacolor container with a little bow on it. I had offhandedly mentioned my drawing habits, I didn't expect him to actually pick up on it.

"You said there wasn't much you could have, so I got you something I knew you'd use." He slid the tin case of colored pencils towards me, my words lost as my fingers drifted over the piece of sketchpaper. When my eyes drifted back to Barry's face, he wore a triumphant little grin, as if he knew nobody else was able to steal my words from me.

Still unable to form a coherant sentence, I leaned my head on his shoulder and just took a moment to appreciate him. "You're too good to me," I finally mumbled.

"I try," he chuckled, his hand sliding up and down my back. I closed my eyes and got lost in the feeling, his touch was just so comforting. After just soaking him up, I opened my eyes and presented the small drawing. He studied it for a moment before mumbling, "I know this place."

"You should, it's in Central City." His eyes broke to me for a short moment before he closely examined the pencil marks.

"You've been?" he asked distractedly, still studying the piece.

"Once or twice." I pushed back the little bow on the box of pencils and studied the inscriptions. This brand was nowhere near cheap, and Barry had bought one of the more expensive packs. I released a silent sigh as a smile pulled on my lips. However, I sharply inhaled and closed my eyes when Barry's fingers drifted over my neck as he moved my hair, a swear quietly slipping past my lips.

"Andromeda..." His tone was full of worry and it made me squeeze my eyes for a short moment before I hesitantly opened them, studying his crestfallen expression. I had hoped the bruising would've gone by now, he hadn't noticed it last Friday, I had half hoped he wouldn't notice at all. "What happened to you?"

Now with an audible sigh, I grabbed his hand and set it on the table, letting my hair fall back into place. "I picked a fight with the wrong guy," I explained shortly. "Like I said, not everyone is going to be my friend, Barry." But he just wiggled his hand out of mine and held the side of my head, his concern only worsening. Altogether his expression hurt, but those expressive eyes hit me right in the heart. They're what drew me to him in the first place. "I'm fine, Barry."

"You can't keep throwing yourself into harms way, Andy. One day, it's going to catch up to you." With a deep breath, I nodded. Arguing with him would get me nowhere, and honestly, I only wanted to move forward with him. I was sick of standing still, of staying here.

"I know," I breathed, hesitant to look him in the eye. "I just... I'm managing the only way I know how. I can't do that without at least one scraped knee."

"A scraped knee is one thing, a hand print around your neck is another."

Another deep sigh forced itself passed my lips, and I turned my head to avoid his eyes. "I've had worse. This--" I pointed vaguely to my neck, "This is nothing."

"Andy," Boles called, nodding his head when I looked over to him. I gave him a miniscule, appreciative smile before turning back to Barry.

"Don't worry, Barry. I'll be fine," I assured, grabbing his hand and putting it in his lap. Only, he didn't release my fingers when I went to pull away.

"How am I supposed to do that when you live here?" he asked, his voice small.

"You're a smart boy, you'll figure it out." My smile grew as I studied the pure worry in his brown eyes, pulling my hand from his as I stood. I ignored the feeling of Barry's eyes on me as I pushed the drawing towards him and grabbed the pencil case, only acknowlegding his stare to press a chaste kiss to his forehead. I savored the image of his flushed cheeks before walking over to Boles, handing over the tin so he could examine the contents.

After deciding they were acceptable, he handed them back and cuffed me. Looking at the clock, I grew a small frown as he led me back to my cell. I waited until we were out of earshot of other guards before speaking. "Thank you, for the extra time..." I muttered over my shoulder. I knew he still didn't like me all that much but he was beginning to warm up to me.

"Yeah, well...merry Christmas." I felt a small tug on the corner of my lips and nodded. It was only a minute and half over, but it was something, especially in here.

"Right back at'cha," I hummed.