Unless

For Andy and Barry

I shuddered as I stood on a rooftop, overlooking Barry's lab. He was working late, half of his hair hanging over his face while the other rested bunched up in his hand. With a determined look about him he dug into his pocket, fiddling with something before putting it to his ear. It didn't register that it was a phone until the one I distractedly held came to life, my eyes shooting from it to him. I hesitated as I had a week ago, wanting to answer but not wanting to simultaneously.

When my phone went dead Barry sagged, listening to the automated voice for a moment before his lips started moving. I sighed and read his body language, seeing just how hard my four month departure had been on him. After a while he dropped his phone on his desk, running his hands over his face. I brought the phone to my ear as soon as it came through, watching him turn over paperwork as I listened.

"I don't know if you're getting any of these... I've been calling for a month and a half and as far as I know, it isn't even you," he sighed, his tension clear. "I feel like I've been watched for days now and everytime I look, I think I see you, and I tell myself I'm being paranoid--" Barry stopped the tangent with a strained, deep breath. "I need to see you, even if it means getting stabbed in the leg or shot in the back." His voice broke and wavered as he uttered, "I'm going crazy, Andy." I took a deep breath when he paused, guilt running deep through me. "I need to see you and know I'm not imagining it."

He took another breath as he hung up, and I didn't repeat this one like I had the others. Instead I dialed up his number, my fingers hesitating once it was all out. I didn't have the nerve to call him, so I texted the number instead, having to retrain my fingers to typing on an outdated phone model. I made sure to walk away from his lab before sending him an address, telling him to meet me five minutes from now. I put a few more buildings between us before sending it, not surprised that seconds after it had gone through blue light lit up the spaces between buildings. I expected him to rush, to get there and wait the whole five minutes for me to show.

Before heading to him, I changed into more casual clothes; I didn't need to approach him as Al Kahin, I wasn't here to be hostile, I needed to be Andy for a while. I tucked my hair behind both ears, feeling out of place in my favorite denim jacket. It was like Barry had predicted: I was gone for too long. I peaked around the corner first, finding the Speedster antsy on his feet. He wasn't moving fast enough to generate the lightning, but his image often shifted from one place to another faster than my trained eyes could follow. Steeling my nerves, I slowly walked towards him, feeling short even at this distance since I'd grown accustomed to wearing my flats.

As quick as he'd been moving, he instantly stilled when he saw me come close, hesitancy about him. I couldn't blame him, though, so I gave him a small smile as I drew near. "You're not imagining it," I assured, taking a step back when he took steps forward of his own. Barry stopped but took me in like it was the first time he'd seen me in his lifetime. To be fair, I had changed. My muscles bulked up, I carried myself differently, and my hair barely brushed the tops of my shoulders.

"Why'd you cut your hair?" he asked, not knowing what else to say.

"It wasn't my choice, among many others," I informed softly. It took a second of thought but I slowly came closer to him.

"What're you doing here?" His voice was quiet, as if he were afraid this was another projection. Once within arms reach, I offered him my hand, smiling at the relief that washed over him when he interlocked our fingers.

"I was starting to worry about you -- rightfully so." I put my other hand on his cheek, his eyes closing as he relaxed into my touch. "I can't always be available, but I haven't stopped being yours," I whispered, easing my own worry as calm visibly spread through him. Letting go of my hand, he wrapped his arm around my waist and his other hand in my hair, holding me to his chest and breathing me in. I slowly returned the secure embrace, feeling myself relax as well. "What troubles you, mátia mou?"

"I can't sleep, I've buried myself in work, what doesn't trouble me?" he listed off with a pathetic scoff. He tightened his hold and took a deep breath, his fingers drifting through my gentle waves. "I'm a mess without you." I sighed and ran my thumb over his neck, loving how his body perfectly cradled mine as he nuzzled his face further into my hair and neck.

"I hope I'm taking some worry away," I mumbled. "I hate seeing you so distraught."

"I wouldn't be if you stayed home, with me." I sighed and and shook my head.

"Not yet." Moving his left hand so he held the side of my head and the back of my neck, he pulled back and met my eye, his inner conflict so clear on the surface.

"Why?" he questioned, his voice hurt. I dropped his gaze and took a deep breath, soaking up the feeling his touch provided.

"I can't say exactly, but I'm earning my release." If there were any hesitancies I had, they melted away as easily as my body melted into his when he kissed me. We were starved of one another, and it was clear the more and more his grip secured me to him. "I can't stay long," I gently warned, barely pulling enough away to speak.

"We've done more with less time," he challenged breathlessly, bringing a warmth to my neck. "I just need you for a while." I nodded and pushed my fingers through his hair as he returned his lips to mine, the feeling of his fingers on my back making my breath stutter. I pulled back but let Barry rest his forehead on mine as his fingers retracted; he knew me too well, it made my lips twitch a bit. "I love you," he whimpered, rubbing his head against mine.

I hesitated a moment longer than I should have, his eyes opening before I could mutter, "I love you, too." His eyes closed again as he kissed me gently, my hands coming up to his wrists. "Until I see you next, mátia mou."

"Unless I see you first," he desperately challenged, his eyes opening as he allowed me to slowly pull away. Unless Talia orders me back to Nanda Parbat. I gave him a small smile and nodded, not letting go until our arm lengths permitted it, and even then he took a step forward. "Be careful, Dromi."

"You too, smart boy," I nodded, pulling my fingers from his and going back the way I came. His eyes burned into my back worse than the branding iron had, feeling it warm at the thought.