Chapter 23

Chapter 23

My shrill cry reverberated against the walls of the entire bungalow, right arm dripping in blood and throat almost running dry with the thought of bullets hitting Siddharth. Gushes of blood were oozing out of my wound but I wasn't sensing any pain. I was ready to die but Siddharth should be sound and safe.

Kneeling down, I skimmed my hands across the floor of the dark corridor in the hope of finding Siddharth with the wave of a magic wand. The broken pieces of food plate cut across my fingers with the touch, scattered right where Siddharth was standing earlier.

I started weeping bitterly for having failed in my expedition and for not being able to protect the LOVE of my life.

Mr. Karthik was right. I had already fallen in love with Siddharth and the dreadful horror was drenching me in guilt for not being able to save him. The fear of losing him helped me to realise the unending love I had deeply developed in my heart for him. I took longer than expected but had finally realised it. I wanted to scream out to the world that I only loved this man, I loved Siddharth!

"I love you, Siddharth. Please return to me." I muttered inaudibly under my sobbing breath.

A life without a love was a house without a window. Breathing without love was painful, and I died almost a hundred times in the last couple of minutes before the lights to the bungalow came to life again.

My sore eyes weren't able to stretch open their eyelids but when it opened, it saw two worried figures running towards me from the two opposite ends. One was Mr. Karthik who had rushed up the stairs chasing the culprit and the other one was SIDDHARTH. He came running from the opposite end, the one that led to the door of the backyard. Surprisingly, both were carrying guns in their hands.

I threw my trembling arms at Siddharth when he knelt down and clinched me against his throbbing bosom. I could exactly feel the rapid hammering of his heartbeat at the side of his chest, his hands encircling me like an armour.

"Sapna, you just scared me!" He murmured against the fragrance of my open hair, kissing the side of my head.

My tears and the blood from my wound were soaking into his blazer, yet he didn't seem to mind. He caressed my head and shoulders, indicating his presence and that he had escaped unhurt.

"Siddharth! You are alright? I... For once I thou..thought I lost you..."

He kissed my forehead to recover my poise before rubbing the pad of his thumbs across my cheeks to wipe the tears trailing them. "I'm alright, you see. Nothing's happened to me... Oh Sapna, you've hurt yourself!"

He separated from me, an urgency to withdraw as he took my right hand in his and tied his white handkerchief around it to cover my leaking wound. I was staring at him with passion, a self made realisation of gazing at the individual who was my beloved now. It felt so different because I was seeing him again after realising my love for him.

Lifting me in bridal style, he walked across the hallway towards the sofa where the crowd were gathered together. His forearms held me in place as he marched, his eyes never missing my sight. I could tell people's stare were completely on us, especially Kiran's glare but I wouldn't want to deny Siddharth for his closeness and caress for me.

He helped me sit comfortably on the cushioned sofa before speaking in a raised voice, "Sir, I am taking her to the hospital for treatment now."