S2: Battlefield

Luna PoV

I was watching my dad going through books. Last night, a lot of things happened. Allison is trying to kill us now because her mom died, Matt really was the one controlling Jackson but he died in a lake and Scott is teamed up with Gerard. I'm not really bothered with that. And Boyd and Erica will be leaving. They don't want to have this life anymore. My dad's pretty mad about that. I can't blame him. He did warn them about the life of a werewolf. I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around and saw Boyd and Erica. I looked back at my dad who put a book down. ''So you decided? When?'' my dad questioned them.

''Tonight.''' Erica replied.

''Everyone's gonna be at the game. We figured it was the best time'' Boyd added.

"It's not like we want to'' Erica sighed.

''What do you want?'' my dad asked.

''Since I just turned 16 a month ago, I wouldn't mind getting my license. I can't do that if I'm dead, you know'' Erica told him.

''Erica, Boyd, he did told you there was a price'' I spoke up.

''Yeah, but he didn't say it would be like this'' Boyd glared at my dad.

''Yeah, but I told you how to survive. You do it as a pack. And you're not a pack without an Alpha'' my dad said.

''We know'' Boyd shrugged and he and Erica were looking at each other.

''You want to look for another pack'' I stated. ''How are you even gonna find one?''

''We think we already did'' Boyd answered making me look confused.

Derek PoV
''We think we already did'' Boyd answered. I looked at Luna when he said that. I looked back at Boyd and Erica hoping that it's not that pack.

''Like all of a sudden we heard all this howling. It was unbelievable'' Erica explained.

''There must have been a dozen of them'' Boyd said, making me stood up straight.

''Yeah, or maybe only two'' I shrugged. I know that there's about five. Luna cannot know about that pack.

Luna PoV
''You know what the Beau Geste effect is?'' my dad asked. Erica and Boyd shook their heads. ''If they modulate their howls with a rapid shift in tone, 2 wolves can sound like 20.''

''Look that doesn't matter, okay?'' Erica started to sound annoyed. ''There's another pack out there. There's got to be. We've made up our minds.''

''Yeah, we lost, Derek. And it's over. We're leaving'' Boyd finished.

''No. No, you're running. And once you start, you don't stop. You'll always be running.'' Erica and Boyd left and my dad turned back around leaning against the table. I felt sorry for my dad now. All of a sudden I smelt someone. I turned around and widened my eyes.

''Uh, dad...'' I paused, not knowing what to say. My dad turned around, throwing a piece of glass at Peter, but Peter caught it.

''I expected a slightly warmer welcome. But point taken'' Peter said. ''It's quite a situation you've got yourself in here, Derek, Luna. I mean, I'm out of commission for a few months and suddenly there's lizard people, geriatric psychopaths, and you're cooking up werewolves out of every self esteem deprived adolescent in town.''

''What do you want?'' I asked.

''Well, I want to help. Derek, you're my nephew and Luna, you're my nephew's daughter. The only relatives that I have left. You know, there's still a lot that I can teach you. Especially you Luna. Can we just talk?'' Peter asked, putting his hand n my dad's shoulder. Mt dad looked at it and looked back at Peter.

''Sure. Let's talk'' my dad smirked. He grabbed Peter's hand and threw him at the stairs. I bit my lower lip, trying to contain my laughter. But I managed to control it when my dad went over to Peter and started beating him up.

''Dad, stop it'' I said.

''Yeah, listen to her, Derek'' Peter coughed. My dad stopped hitting him. ''You don't act...actually think that I want to be the Alpha again, do you? That wasn't my finest performance, considering it ended in my death. I mean, I'm usually more-'' Peter stopped talking when my dad grabbed him by his shirt about to throw another punch. ''Okay, go ahead! Come on, do it. Hit me, hit me. I can see that it's cathartic for you. You're letting go of all the anger, self loathing, and hatred that comes with total and complete failure. I may be the one taking the beating, Derek, but you've already been beaten. So, go ahead. Hit me if it will make you feel better. After all, I did say that I wanted to help.''

''I can't believe I'm going to say this'' I muttered. ''Dad, maybe we should listen to him'' I softly said and sitting down on the stairs. My dad sighed, let go of Peter, and went to sit down beside me.

''See?'' Peter stood up. ''Prime example right here. I'm not healing as fast. Coming back from the dead isn't easy, you know. I'm not as strong as I used to be. I need a pack. An Alpha like you. I need you as much as you need me. ''

''Why would we want help from a total psycho?'' my dad asked.

''First of all, I'm not a total psycho'' Peter said, making me scoff a little. ''And by the way, you're the one that slashed my throat wide open. But we're all works in progress, right? So, we need each other. Sometimes when you need help, you turn to people you'd never expect.''

''So what do you know?'' I asked Peter.

''Well all I know, Derek, is that you tried to build your pack. You tried to prepare for the worst. You weren't ready. Because of it, Gerard is winning. He's taking his time. He's toying with Scott. He's going after your wolves, one by one. He's relishing in his victory.''

''How about you tell me something I don't know?'' my dad asked angrily.

''Oh, I'm going to. And it's gonna prove why you should trust me. Why you need to trust me. Because I'm going to tell you how to stop Jackson.

''What do you mean? Know how to kill him?'' I questioned.

''Actually, how to save him. There's a myth that you can cure a werewolf simply by calling out its Christian name. ''

''It's just a myth'' my dad snapped.

''Sometimes myths and legends bear a hint of truth'' I stated.

''Exactly'' Peter nodded at me. ''Our name is a symbol of who we are. The kanima has no identity. That's why it doesn't seek a pack.''

''It seeks a master'' I said.

''And who else grows up with no pack? No identity?''

''An orphan'' my dad answered.

''Like Jackson'' Peter stated. ''And right now, his identity is disappearing beneath a reptilian skin and you need to bring him back.''

''How?'' I asked.

''Through his heart. How else?''

''You know, in case you hadn't noticed, Jackson doesn't really have too much of a heart to begin with'' dad told him.

''Not true. He'd never admit it, but there is one person. One young lady with whom Jackson shared a real bond. One person who can reach him. Who can save him.''

''Lydia'' I whispered.

''Your best ally has always been anger, Derek, but what you lack most is a heart. That's why you've always known that you need Scott and Luna more than anyone. And even somebody as burned and dead on the inside as me knows better than to underestimate the simple yet undeniable power of human love''.