Sidewinder

The Winter Solstice

"Making my way through the night you're still in my sight, you're runnin' away cause ya' know you can't hide. My instincts are cold-blooded hate; to you, I'm the bearer of fate. Wrong place and now the wrong time, now the terror is all that you'll find." - Avenged Sevenfold

🌊    ⛰     🔥    🌪

Night had fallen across the waters as the ship sailed towards another poor, unsuspecting village. Zuko was still talking with the captain when Aelita all too quickly excused herself from the room. Her mind was anywhere but there.

"I certainly worked up quite the appetite today," Iroh said as rubbed his belly, following Aelita out the door. "Join me for dinner?" As much as she enjoyed the company of the grey-haired man, she didn't have the time.

"All I want right now is a hot bath." She lied with a faint smile, mindful that she didn't brush a single hair behind her ear. She stood on her toes and kissed Iroh on the cheek, promising him they'd have tea together in the morning.

A bath was the least of her concerns. Aelita had an idea. The Avatar before the monk was Roku of the Fire Nation. That part would line up, the Akira would've had to be a firebender. The tricky part was the water. The next Avatar in the cycle would be born into the Water Tribe. Could she really bend water? She couldn't possibly. She would try and when she failed miserably she would know it wasn't real. No bending, no Akira, no Cresent Island. Aelita stepped into her room and quickly shut the door behind her. Mushu lay on top of her pillow, barely lifting his head before plopping back down to go to sleep.

"All you've done since I left is sleep, lazy bastard." The ferret didn't stir. "Some spirit guide you are."

Aelita grabbed the small dish of water she had left on her bedside table for Mushu and sat before it on the floor. How the hell was she even supposed to do this? How do you even try to bend an element that wasn't yours?

"Breath Kenshin," Aelita whispered to herself and focused on the water, a hand-held above it. Nothing, not even a ripple. "I knew it." She muttered. As she went to stand Mushu suddenly jumped off the bed and began to climb all over her, chirping and squeaking wildly. "What has gotten into you buddy?"

Mushu hopped off of her and sat beside the bowl of water, staring at her.

"What?" She asked. Great. She was talking to her fire ferret. And now her fire ferret was looking back and forth between her and the water. "Alright, alright." She sighed. "I'll try again." She was really beginning to question her mental state but still, she sank back down onto the floor in front of the bowl. As she held a hand above the bowl her eyes met Mushu's. The longer she looked at him the more familiar he seemed. Had she really only had him for...

Splash.

Cool water hit Aelita's palm, nearly making her jump. She looked down just in time to see water falling back into the bowl. Shaking she turned her palm over and watched as small droplets ran along with her scars. No. It couldn't be. Mushu crawled into her lap seemingly content with himself. Had she? She couldn't have. Taking one very unsteady breath Aelita closed her eyes and held the same hand above the water, genuinely concentrating this time. In moments she felt the same cool sensation. Trying not to panic she continued to focus on the water, willing it to stay up. This time when she looked down she watched as the water danced out of the bowl and wove its way around her hand.

Aelita Kenshin was waterbending.

🌊    ⛰     🔥    🌪

The captain assured him that they would hit the shores closest to the village before the sun would have begun to rise. Seeing as they would still have a few hours until they landed Zuko figured he might as well sleep while he could. The monk was crafty. He'd want to be rested to face him. Aelita had slipped out sometime before him. Seeing how high the moon had risen in the sky Zuko was surprised she hadn't come back for him earlier to come to bed. They hadn't spent a night apart since the night after Kyoshi. He was even more surprised when he made it back to his quarters to find her not there. They always stayed in his room. He crossed the short distance to her room and opened it without knocking. There she was, laying on her bed with an arm thrown across her face.