Lovely

The Siege of The North - Part One Cont.

"Isn't it lovely, all alone? Heart made of glass my mind of stone. Tear me to pieces, skin, and bone. Welcome home." - Lauren Babić ft. Seraphim. (Originally Billie Eilish ft. Khalid.)

🌊 ⛰ 🔥 🌪

"The day we have feared for so long has arrived." Arnook stood atop the steps in the full throne room as he addressed his people. His daughter and wife sat to his right, Master Pakku to his left. "The Fire Nation is on our doorstep. It is with great sadness I call my family here before me knowing well that some of these faces are about to vanish from our tribe, but they will never vanish from our hearts. Now as we approach the battle for our existence I call upon the great spirits. Spirit of the ocean, spirit of the moon, be with us!" The room was silent, everyone praying for themselves. "I'm going to need volunteers for a dangerous mission."

"Count me in." Sokka stood without hesitation from his spot in the room beside his friends.

"Sokka." Katara pleaded with her him. As selfish as it was she wanted him as far away from any excess danger as possible. The Fire Nation had already taken her mother, they couldn't have her brother.

"What are you doing?" Aelita pulled him back down. They hadn't spoken since they left the weapons hut. Hell, they hadn't even made eye contact. "Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

"No." Sokka shook her off as other men continued to stand. "I'm being a man."

"Be warned. many of you will not return." The Chief continued. "Come forward to receive my mark if you accept the task."

One by one man of all ages lined up in front of the Chief who was now flanked by his family as a sign of respect for their bravery. Yue felt as if bile was rising in her throat as she watched Sokka make his way through the line. No. No. He couldn't. She didn't dare speak up, it would embarrass her father. Using red paint Arnook marked each man's forehead with three vertical lines; his symbol for loyalty, courage, and strength.

Sokka received his mark like those before them. As he went to follow the others he felt the Princess's eyes locked onto him as if she were afraid to look anywhere else. She was crying for him. As he saw the tears rolling down her face the same overwhelming guilt washed over him. Aelita was right, he had drug Yue into this. Shit. He was falling in love with her toy. Sokka spared her a sad smile and turned to keep following the other men. He vowed then and there that after the war he would be the husband she deserved.

Yue knew the smile was meant to reassure her but it didn't. She shouldn't have been surprised he volunteered, after all, Sokka was never one to back down from a fight. Still, she didn't want him to go. If she could she would keep him here locked up in the palace with her, but she knew he would never stand for it. Yue scanned the room for a set of familiar brown eyes after Sokka walked away. If there was anyone who would understand how the Princess felt it would be her. Aang and Katara sat huddled beside one of the tall pillars but Aelita Kenshin was nowhere to be found.

🌊 ⛰ 🔥 🌪

Aelita's legs dangled over the edge of the balcony wall, not a sound to be heard at the top of the palace. Staring out past the houses and village walls the ocean around the North Pole was eerily still. How much longer would it last?

"Hey," Aang called from the balcony door. The Avatar and the Akira had hardly seen one another since the first black snowflakes fell. This was no or never for them. "Can I join you?"

Aelita slid over so Aang would have room to sit next to her on the ledge. Aang watched as she ran her fingers through Mushu's fur, clinging onto him like a security blanket. He did the same thing with Appa. The fact that Aelita was so shaken was unnerving.