Burning House

The Winter Solstice

"I've been sleepwalking, been wondering all night. Trying to take what's lost and broke and make it right. I've been sleepwalking too close to the fire, but it's the only place that I can hold you tight. In this burning house." - Cam

🌊 ⛰ 🔥 🌪

Aelita stood frozen beside the Avatar, unsure of how to process anything she was hearing. How could they expect her to die for someone she just met?

"But I don't want anyone to die for me." Aang pleaded with the spirits before him. If anyone died for him he wouldn't be able to forgive himself.

"Trust me," Aelita mustered finally "I'm not so keen on the sound of it either."

"The Avatar holds a greater connection to the world of the living, they are the one who maintains balance in this world," Roku explained.

"The Akira is the embodiment of the Spirit World." Tulan continued where her old friend left off. "They can continue to maintain balance from the next life but they cannot maintain the balance on their own in this world." She suddenly turned grave. "That is why if the need arises, you may be called to sacrifice yourself so that the Avatar can live on."

🌊 ⛰ 🔥 🌪

"When those doors open, unleash all your firepower!" Zhao commanded his men. They all took fighting stances facing the sanctuary.

A chained-up Katara turned her face towards her brother. "How's Aang gonna make it out of this?" She asked, scared for her friend.

"How are we gonna make it out of this?" He asked right back. They had managed to get themselves into all kinds of messy situations ever since he and his sister had found the Avatar under the ice but this? This might just be the worst so far. Damn firebenders. 

Zuko could care less about any of the other people in the temple at that moment. Hell, he didn't even care about the Avatar. All he cared about was Aelita, one of the few people he had left in his corner. She had to make it out of this unscathed. After all, she had already been hurt enough for him.

"Tell them to stand down Zhao! Aelita is in there!" Zuko barked as he pulled against his chains. "She's innocent here. She'll get caught in the crossfire!"

"What a shame." Zhao feigned remorse but his sickening smile said otherwise. "Sad that such a pretty face will end up just another causality of war."

🌊 ⛰ 🔥 🌪

Avatar Aang placed his hand on Aelita's shoulder, a serious look in his eye. "I still don't understand all of this, but I won't let anyone lay down their life for mine. "

"This is all so much. What if we don't master the elements in time?" She questioned, trying to be realistic. "What if we fail?"

"I know that you two can do this." Roku gave them a small grin. "For you have done it before."

"The solstice is ending." Chimed the Earth Nation woman beside him. "We must go our separate ways, for now."

"But we won't be able to come back to the temple!" Stressed Aang. "What if we have questions?"

"How will we talk to you?" Aelita asked. "We're going to need help! You can't expect us to figure things out on our own."

"We are a part of you." The two spirits said in unison, smiles upon their faces. "When you need to talk to us again, you will find a way."

The spirits before the teenagers closed their eyes and seemingly concentrated on something that the younger two couldn't see. Roku's voice suddenly sounded inside of their own heads.