The Serenade

Thanks for the idea SnowMione17 I loved this oneshot

(Age 16)

Mike Wheeler had a plan, more like an idea, really. It was risky, but thought it would be sweet. He was nervous, still unsure of when the perfect moment would be.

Mike Wheeler wanted to serenade El Hopper.

In Mike's mind, it was less of a serenade, and more like a small surprise for El. Karen has walked into the basement at the exact moment when Mike had been practicing, quite surprised by how talented her son was.

She had found it adorable how much her son cared for El, and even more adorable that her son wanted to serenade El.

"Mom it's not a serenade," Mike sighed and walked into his room, pulling out a piece of paper covered in writing, "Its just a... surprise I wanted to sing for El."

"Honey, when a boy wants to sing a song for his girlfriend, it's called a serenade." Karen said, "Have you picked a song yet?"

Mike folded the paper and placed it in his pocket, "Yeah I did..."He made an attempt to walk out the bedroom door, only to be stopped by his mother.

"What's the name of the song?"

"Mom, I don't need to tell you." Mike muttered, trying to duck under his mom's arm. She gave him a look, making him sigh and mutter, "Eternal Flame." He ran out of his room before he could hear his mother's excitement.

Mike had been planning this for a while, but every time El was with him, his confidence crumbled and he couldn't bring himself to sing for her. Singing was his hidden talent and no one knew except for his mother, Nancy and Holly. Nancy had teased him for a while, until she heard him sing for Holly one night a few years back.

Mike went into the basement, deciding that he would finally sing for her today. With a little bit of help from Steve and library books, he had taught himself how to play that one song on his father's old guitar. He usually practiced in the basement when he knew he would be alone without any distractions or people.

El was the only person on his mind whenever he picked up the guitar and taught himself the love song. He was blistering his fingers and annoying himself for El. He had spent months learning this song and memorizing the lyrics for El. He had kept practicing and made sure the performance was perfect for El.

He cared about El a lot, and in his head, this was the best way to show her how much he loved her.

Mike was shaken out of his thoughts as he heard the doorbell ring. "Mike your girlfriend is here!" Nancy shouted.

Even to this day, Mike still felt his heart flutter whenever someone referred to El as his girlfriend.

"Ellie!" Holly screamed, the sounds of her running echoed through the floor.

"Hi Holly." Mike heard El say as Holly's footsteps came to a stop.

He couldn't help but smile; he loved that fact that his 2 favourite girls got along amazingly.

"Mike is downstairs," Holly said sweetly before running off again, her running footsteps making the ceiling above Mike thud.

El slowly came into view as she walked down the steps. Her dark curls (that Mike loved to play with) bounced around her face as she walked into the basement.

Her lips turned into a smile as she saw Mike. Her eyes lit up with a sudden happiness as she wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. Mike immediately hugged her back, her body relaxing against his.