Lost Control

(Age 15)

It all started when El accidently broke a glass one afternoon. She had reached her hand past it to grab an Eggo and it shattered. Her eyes widened, realizing she hadn't been using her powers; the glass shattered... by itself?

"M-Mike?" She called, her eyes wide with fear. She picked up a piece of glass, only to get a cut across her palm; she winced and clutched her cut hand.

"Are you okay?! I heard something break! What ha- oh god..." Mike noticed blood dripping off her hand and onto the white tiles as he ran into the kitchen. Tears welled in her eyes as he grabbed her hand and placed it under cool water.

Mike wrapped his arm around her while holding her hand under the running water. El buried her face in his neck, not wanting to look at the red water in the sink. He bandaged her hand and took her down to the basement; bringing the plate of eggos with him.

They sat down on the couch, Mike's arm wrapped around her tightly. "What happened, El?"

She began to explain what had happened in the kitchen; her fear only grew stronger as she spoke. "I-I wasn't using my p-powers... I moved m-my hand past the glass... and it broke..."

"Maybe your powers just glitched or something El... you'll be fi-" His voice faltered when he saw the stack of books on his desk fly across the room and crash into a wall, then fall to the floor.

She wiped the blood away from under her nose, and looked at the books, confused. "I-it happened again..." Fear filled her voice and she squeezed his hand with her non-injured hand.

Mike was speechless; he soon realized that her powers couldn't be glitching, but were growing stronger. She was 15 and over the years her capability to maximize her powers had increased slowly; but he had never seen her powers so out of control.

"M-Mike I'm scared... i-i don't want to hurt y-you or anyone else... I can't control it..." El mumbled as she buried her face in his neck, his arms wrapped tighter around her and he pulled her closer.

"You won't hurt me El... An-And soon you'll be able to control your powers... this is just temporary..." He said, hugging her. El closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around his torso. "Wanna lay down..?"

She nodded as they layed down together on the couch and fell asleep. But almost immediately, a nightmare came into El's mind....

The lab. The first "home" El had; she was back there. Her hair was short and she was wearing the hospital gown. Dr. Brenner, the man who appeared in almost all of her nightmares was staring at her, his assistant beside him, writing down notes on a clipboard.

Brenner, his assistant and another scientist were talking; El managed to hear a few words. Telekinesis... Interdimensional Travel... Open... Powers... Eleven...

A pair of rough hands grabbed her and literally dragged her to another room. The walls were white, except for one section of the wall that had a ceiling-to-floor crack in it. Power surged through the room, connecting to the crack in the wall.

El knew what she was supposed to do. Dr. Brenner's goal for Eleven was to solve the mystery of Interdimensional Travel; Brenner had constantly reminded her that her day to attempt creating a doorway was near; but this was the day.

El extended her arm to the wall, her fingers shaking slightly. The crack began to widen; but it started to go wrong instantly. Exhaustion overwhelmed her and Brenner began yelling at her to get up as El's vision began to dim...