Midnight Kiss

Happy Holidays everyone 

Age 15/16 (After season 3)

"Michael, your friends are here!"

Mike groaned, yelling from the basement, "Get the door then please!"

He began pacing back and forth around the basement, reading the writing off a piece of paper in his hands. "Okay, you can do this," he shrugged, "she's your girlfriend, you've already kissed her."

Mike Wheeler had a plan that he was stressing over. He had a plan to take El outside around midnight and kiss her under the stars as the new year began.  Mike had spent New Years with El before, but had kissed her only when they were in private. And this year, he was wanting to change that and give her the romantic, starlight kiss she deserved. She had finally come back to Hawkins with the Byers and he had missed her more than anything.

Mike made his way upstairs, quickly grinning at the sight of El. Her eyes lit up as she saw him, ignoring anyone else talking to her. She ran forward and into Mike's arms, letting her eyes fall closed. He grinned and held her close, his cheek resting on the top of her head and closing his eyes.

"Okay break it up lovebirds," Dustin said, pulling out of a hug with Will. "We want to hug her too."

Mike didn't reply, but proceeded to hold his girlfriend closer to his chest and gently kiss her head. "I missed you," he whispered, his arms wrapped around his waist, "I missed you so much."

"I missed you more," she replied, kissing his cheek ever so gently.

"El," Max smiled, pulling El from Mike and into her own arms.

Mike hugged Will, smiling and sharing a few words with him before bringing his attention to the girls. Mike gave Max a look, crossing his arms and waiting for Max to finish hugging her. El hugged Max, smiling and pulling away. She looked back and forth between Max and Mike a moment, a frown forming on her lips.

"Be nice or no kisses," she looked at Mike, "or no hugs," she looked at Max, proceeding to hug to hug the rest of her friends. 

Mike and Max locked eyes for a moment in almost surprise. "You heard her, be nice," Mike smiled, walking to El's side and leaving Max with a pissed expression on her face.

"Mikey," El giggled softly, hugging him as soon as he was close enough. Mike grinned, running his finger's through his girlfriend's hair and glancing at his friends.

"Okay, you guys are cute but that's enough." Lucas sighed, wrapping an arm around Max.

Mike rolled his eyes, "You guys are worse." He kept his arms secure around El while they talked.

Max laughed, leaning into Lucas. "Max doesn't like affection, dumbass," Lucas said, kissing Max's cheek.

"Well she doesn't seem to like anything actually," Mike muttered, kissing El's cheek, earning a light smack in the arm from El.

"Okay are you done?" Dustin interrupted. "It's New Years Eve and you're being stupid."

"Let's go do something fun," Will added, turning to go to the basement with Dustin following.

Max glanced at the clock on the wall, "We have two hours until midnight; let's play a game or something."

Mike looked at Will, then Lucas, "How about a board game, for old time's sake?" Lucas disappeared up the stairs, returning a moment later with the old Monopoly game.

Will's eyes slowly lit up, smiling, "For old times sake."

(Oneshot based on this "old times sake" concept coming soon)

They sat around the small table, Mike and Will setting up the board game while the others proceeded to raid the Wheelers' kitchen for snacks and drinks. El returned in lead, a plate of eggos in her hands and a smile on her lips.

"My girl still loves her eggos, hm?" Mike grinned, pulling El's chair out for her as she sat down.

She smiled, setting the plate between herself and Mike on the table. "Not everything has changed, Mike." She gave him a sweet smile, her brown eyes sparkling in the light as she picked up an eggo from the plate and ate it happily. Mike couldn't help but grin at the sight.

As the all took turns rolling the dice and playing the game, Mike continued to glance in El's direction, smiles forming on his lips every time. He tried to ignore the fact the she would be leaving 24 hours from now and instead focus that she was only a few inches away from him and not miles away.

Soon, El noticed Mike's gaze from the corner of her eyes. She turned to look at him as he looked away, rolling the dice and taking his turn. El moved her chair closer to his, slowly resting her head on his shoulder. Mike looked at her, slowly wrapping his arm around her shoulders, a soft smile forming on her lips at his touch. He gently placed the dice in El's hand, gently kissing the top of her head.

After a while, Mike noticed the time. 11:53. He glanced at El, taking a deep breath and pulling away from her. "El, come outside with me?" He asked, holding out his hand to her. She nodded and took his hand, letting him lead her into the backyard.

"Why are we out here?" El asked, stopping in the middle of the backyard with him.

"Look up," he said simply, holding her hands in his.

She slowly looked up, gasping softly. The sky above them looked to be covered in sparkling diamonds, the mood bright and glowing in the night sky. "It's so pretty," she whispered, the light from the stars reflecting in her dark eyes.

"I missed you so much," Mike said softly, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer to him.

"I missed you too," she smiled, leaning up press her forehead against his ever so gently.

He grinned, gently tucking a loose strand of El's hair back, "I love you." Mike had waited so damn long to finally say the three words to her in person again. Sure, they had talked every night over radio and Cerebro since she had left with the Byers but it just wasn't the same to Mike.

"I love you too," she smiled, touching his cheek with her fingertips ever so gently, Mike's heartbeat quickening at her touch.

Mike's wrist watched beeped as it hit 12:00am. "Happy New Year El." He grinned, cupping her cheek with his hand and bringing her closer, gently kissing her.

He could feel El's smile against his lips. "Happy New Year Mike," she mumbled, eagerly and happily kissing him, standing on her toes to somewhat match his height.

Mike broke the kiss after a moment, looking at her with a grin on his face. She stood on her toes to peck his lips, her gorgeous smile on her face.

"Hurry up lovebirds!" Dustin shouted from the open basement door. "Are you going to celebrate with us or what?"

Mike looked at El, taking her hand and turning to go inside, the grin on his face never leaving for the rest of the night.

Happy holidays everyone. I hope you enjoyed this oneshot ❤

Also, to the few people that complain about my updates: these oneshot are always over 1500 words and are full stories. I have 3 other books (Starstruck, Partners in Crime, Daughter of a Demon) in process right now that I try to update at least every week or so and I have school so have some patience with me