Breaking the Rules

(Age 15)

~Mike~
It was 12:23am one summer night and Mike still couldn't fall asleep. His room was hot and muggy and he wished to go swimming. Mike was laying on his bed, wearing shorts and no shirt and the blanket was on the ground. He continued to toss and turn until he finally sat up and sighed. 2 thoughts filled Mike Wheeler's mind:
The desperation to cool off and his girlfriend, El.

Summer had only began in Hawkins, and Mike was wanting to hang out with El as much as possible while school was out of session. He missed her, though he saw her at school everyday; but Mike wanted to hang out with her somewhere that wasn't school, for once.

Mike stood up and put a shirt on, then opened his bedroom door and cringed when it creaked. He slowly began walking down stairs to grab his flip flops. He walked down to the basement, and out the door that led into the backyard. Mike mounted his bike and began riding to El's house. Warm air rushed past him, as he rode through the dark night.

Little did he know that El was wide awake at Hopper's house, "dying" from the heat, and missing her boyfriend greatly.

~El~
El layed on her bed, trying to fall asleep.  The heat was unbearable and too uncomfortable for El or almost anyone to sleep. Suddenly she heard a soft tap on her bedroom window. "El?" A soft voice whispered.

El immediately knew who it was. She sat up and opened her window.  Standing there was her boyfriend, Mike. His dark hair was messy and he looked tired, but still had a wide grin on his face. "What are you doing here, Mike, it's really late?" El whispered back.

"I, um, really missed you." Mike said softly, his cheeks turning red.

El smiled softly. "I really missed you too."

Mike smiled. "I wanted to know if you would, uh, go somewhere with me right now?"

"Now? It's 1-2-4-4 in the morning,  Mike!"

"I know it's late but please El? For me?" Mike pouted slightly, knowing that El would agree. El obliged and nodded. "Meet me in the front and put on your swimsuit."

"What? Wh-" She started but Mike was already gone. She quickly changed into a purple bikini that Nancy had gotten her before summer had began. Hopper didn't approve of that swimsuit so she kept it hidden deep in her drawers.

She put her shorts and shirt on over top and grabbed her flip flops, then quietly walked out the front door, ignoring the sleeping Hopper in the other bedroom.

Mike grinned when he saw her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pressed a heavy kiss against her lips. El smirked and obliged, kissing him back. "Wow, you really did miss me, huh?" El mumbled after they pulled away. Mike blushed and didn't reply. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see, El." Mike grinned and led her over to his bike. She got on the back and wrapped her arms around Mike's waist as he began to ride down the street.

Mike eventually stopped in front of 2 iron gates. El peered inside and her eyes lit up as she realized where they were. Hawkins Town Pool. The water was calm and the area was silent. "Mike we can't go in. Locked." El said, noticing the lock on the gates.

"El, it's like 100 degrees. Just trust me and come on." He extended his hand to her.

She sighed and grabbed his hand and he began helping her over the gates. Once they were both over, Mike took his flip flops and shirt off, and looked at El and waited. She now understood Mike's plan. El slowly pulled her shirt, shorts and shoes off, leaving her only wearing her bikini. She looked down and bit her lip, and started blushing.

"Holy shit," Mike said quietly, and blushed  "You look..."

"P-pretty good?"

"No. You look amazing and gorgeous." Mike said softly and put his hands on her waist. She wrapped her arms around his neck and smiled when he pressed his lips against hers. They kissed for a minute before Mike pulled away and shouted. "Watch this!" He ran to the pool and did a front flip into the water.

El laughed and ran after him, and jumped in. Mike wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her under water.  She gasped and went under,  then swam back up to the surface a few seconds later. "You're evil." She giggled.

Mike smirked and looked at her. El tipped her head down and looked at Mike; a wave of water hit him and he went under.  El laughed as he came back up to the surface with a slight frown on his face. "That wasn't very nice." But the frown on his face quickly turned into a smile and they began having a splash fight.

A little while later...

El rubbed the water out of her eyes and yawned. Swimming had made her even more tired than she already was. Mike noticed and swam over to El, and  wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close. She rested her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. El just felt so safe in his arms; as long as she was with him, nothing bad would happen.

"Do you want to go home, El?" Mike whispered in her ear.

She nodded slightly and pressed a soft kiss against his jaw. "I had a lot of fun. Thank you."

"No need to thank me, Ba-" Mike stopped and blushed.

"Mike, what were you about to say..?

"I was about to call you 'babe'. It's a pet name... just forget about it." Mike mumbled while blushing hard.

"I like that pet name Mike, it's cute." El replied softly.

Mike looked at her, still blushing and smiled a bit. "O-okay, babe. Let's go home." They kissed one more time before climbing out of the pool and drying off with some towels they found.

They put their clothes and shoes back on, climbed over the gate  and got on the bike. Mike began riding back to El's house. When they reached the yard, they both got off the bike and no hugged each other.

"I love you Eleven." Mike said softly.

"I love you too and we should do this more often it was fun." El replied.

"Yeah, we should and we will." Mike leaned in and kissed her. El melted into the kiss and kissed back; her arms around his neck and his arms around her waist. They pulled away a minute later. "I'll see you in 8 hours I guess." Mike looked at the watch on his wrist. 2:11am

El smiled. "See you soon, Mike." She kissed his cheek and walked inside.

"Bye, babe." Mike smiled and began riding his bike home.

They both laid down on their beds, thinking about the fun they had. Finally, they were cooled off, happy and exhausted. Mike and El fell asleep immediately, their dreams filled with the events that had happened a little while earlier.