New Words

Thx SnowMione17 for the idea!

Age 14

Some words are gonna be written wrong on purpose but I'll write the actual word next to it: (Like This)

"Mike what does inter- inta- interestiting (Interesting) mean?" El asked as Mike did his homework at the kitchen table.

Mike smiled softly, "You mean interesting?"

El nodded. "In-ter-est-ing."

"Well, it's mean when... you find something really cool and you want to know more about it or you want to keep like, doing it, you find it interesting." Mike replied, putting a pencil into his textbook to mark his place. He directed his focus to his girlfriend and reached across the table to take her hand. "Does it make sense?"

"Yes.. thanks Mike." She brought his hand to her lips and pressed a soft kiss on the back of his hand. "There are just a lot of new words that are really... con-fus-ing."

Mike grinned at her pronounciation of the word. "I know El. But its good that you learn these words, especially since you are starting school with me and the rest of the party soon."

Hopper (with some of Joyce's persuation) had finally allowed El to attend school with everyone else. El was finally getting the chance for a normal life and a bit of freedom. The party (especially Mike) was excited about their Mage joining them at Hawkins High School in a few months.

"Some words are really hard though!" El complained, a pout forming on her lips. "I can't remember the really hard ones..." She sighed.

Mike thought for a minute. "Why don't I teach you some words?" He offered.

El's eyes lit up. "Really? You would?"

Mike smiled and nodded. "I'd do anything for you..." He pressed a quick kiss against her lips. "I'll be right back..." He stood up and ran upstairs to his room and began looking for a book.

Mike came back downstairs a minute later holding a thick book with the word Dictionary written on the front cover. He placed the heavy book on the table and sat next to her.

"This is a dictionary." Mike stated, flipping through pages. "Its a book of words." He continued to flip through the pages; El's eyes grew wider with each flip. He saw the look in her eyes and chuckled, "I'll just teach you basic words... and words that you want to know, okay?"

El took a deep breathe. "O-okay..." She flipped through pages of the book and began looking at the words and definitions written across the pages. "What does this mean?" She pointed to a word written on the page. Truth.

"Remember how friends dont lie? Lie is the opposite of truth. Truth means when you are being honest, and you aren't trying to hide anything." Mike replied.

El nodded in response and flipped again. "Dir-ec-tion."( Direction) She read slowly.

Mike grinned. "There are two meanings. The first one is like, walking or going in a direction. So if I was walking to the left, I'd be going in a direction. The other means is an order. If someone is given a direction, it's something they have to do. Makes sense?"

"Mhm..." El replied, taking her boyfriends hand. After a while, they had a quick system for learning words.

"Telekinesisis?"(Telekinesis) El asked.

"Telekinesis. Its what you can do. You can move things with your mind." He replied.

"Com-fort?"

"When you had a bad dream or you were upset, I would sit with you and make sure you were okay. I was comforting you." A light blush grew on his cheeks.

"Reli- Reliable?"

"When you can always count on someone to help you when you need it the most. They are always there for you and will do anything for you."

"So... you are reliable." El stated, a smile flickered across her lips. Mike blushed and looked away, a grin on his face.

"Thanks El, you are reliable too." Mike cleared his throat and looked back ant the pages.

"B-beautiful?"

"Another word for "really pretty"."

"Stee-ree-o-type?" (Stereotype)

"Um, I don't really know how to explain this... Look, remember when you first joined our party, Lucas called you a 'weirdo'?" Mike said quietly.

El nodded slightly. She could kind of remember that day, but she rather leave her 'not-as-happy" memories in her past.

"Well, Lucas only called you that because you had "crazy" powers. We didn't really know you yet, so he made a not-true or a false guess about you. Thats kinda what a stereotype is..."

"Um, cass-cette?" (Cassette)

A smile flickered across his lips. "You mean cassette?"

"Yes... cassette."

Mike walked over to his cassette player and put in one of the tapes he had. He picked up another one to show El. "These have music on them that we can play with this," He pointed to the cassette player that had started playing a soft jazz song.

El exhaled, enjoying the soft melody of the music that began to fill the house. Mike returned to his seat at the table and smiled softly.

"Happiness?" El asked, not even looking at the book anymore.

"Its a feeling that make you feel on top of the world. You feel like you can do anything and you just do any want the reason for your happiness to stop. And you, El," He squeezed her hand. "You are the reason for my happiness."

Now it was her turn to blush. Instead of replying she pressed a soft kiss against his lips which he quickly obliged and returned. She pressed her forehead against his and smiled.

He was the reason for her happiness. He was the only reason she got up in the morning; okay... that was half true, she also woke up for eggos and food each morning, but she also loved seeing Mike's soft smile every time she open the door.

"Mike..." El whispered, pulling back slightly. "There's this word I heard once... I think it's um, love? What does it mean?"

Mike blushed and smiled slightly, taking her hand again. "E-El, love is this amazing feeling. Its a strong feeling of happiness and other emotions when you are with a person you love. That person is your number one. They come before anyone else. Your feelings and emotions for them are unconditional. You can't live without them and- and..." His voice cracked. He had missed her so much during the 353 days she had be gone; it hurt to much to relive this memories.

"I love you." El whispered suddenly.

"W-what?"

"I-I love you Mike." El said shyly, looking down at her lap.

Mike broke out of his trance. "I love you too." He pressed his lips against her softly. Their kiss cut short by a knock on the door.

"Hey Hopper..." Mike said after he opened the door.

"Hey kids... El you ready to go?"

El sighed and nodded. "I'll see you tomorrow Mike..." She pressed a kiss against his cheek and whispered, "I love you," before leaving with Hopper.

"What did you do today?" Hopper asked as he started the car.

"Mike was teaching me new words for school. Some words were interesting or confusing." She said proudly.

Their conversation continued as they drove home. But one thought repeatedly ran through his mind. El was seriously growing up. Maybe high school was a bad idea... She shouldn't go... Maybe- No, she's ready. Hopper told himself.

He shrugged and continued to drive home, his mind in deep thought about what the future would hold.