GREAT ASS SHOTS

I kept quiet while I ate, chewing away at the pancakes my mother had made and she happily ate beside me as well.

"I'll do the dishes," I offered, getting two blinks from her.

I rolled my eyes as I took her plate, putting them both in the sink. Turning the water on, I held the plate to rinse it, the syrup sticking to my finger alarming me and causing me to drop the plate. We both stayed silent when the plate shattered.

"Fuck this shit, dude."

"Profanity!"

A hand met the back of my neck and I pursed my lips.

"I'll fix this mess, like I always do. You wash your hands, try not to break a finger."

"TrY nOt tO bReaK a fINgeR."

A kick was aimed at in between my legs, my knees coming together to keep her foot still between my thighs.

"Ha ha, fuck you mom, suck on my nut sack," I laughed loudly, darting out of the kitchen before I was attacked again.

I passed by the dining room, my eyes going to the large plastic containers in the center of the table. Beside them were boxes and wrapping paper as well as ribbon and bows. When I stepped closer, the cupcakes and cookies my mother had spoke of earlier were baked and packed, ready to be wrapped and set into the boxes. I felt a small smile slip over my lips at the little faces my mother had drawn over the note that said it was for the event.

"Was this all still really necessary?" I laughed lightly in fond admiration of my mother's effort and work.

"Of course it was, baby! This is college so we've got to be even more over the top with everything!"

"No we don't," I groaned while she bounced about around me, her hands on my shoulders.

"U.A. University is no joke! A warm welcome to bring everyone together surely will spice things up!"

"Until we're all at each other's throats to become heroes."

"Exactly! So until then, we stay playful and mean no harm!"

She smiled, pulling me along the hallway and it made me wonder if she had gotten the time to wrap the bakeries she had made yet or not. She was constantly busy, so much on her hands yet she'd complete each task to its entirety before moving on to another. There was enough already for her to worry about even with just being staff for college.

"Did you shave your legs?"

The ends of my pants were lifted for my mother to check and all the pleasant thoughts left my mind.

"Yes," I rolled my eyes as she stared intently.

"And you even used the shimmer lotion like I told you to! The little things count and bring together a bigger picture, don't forget that, my sweet thunder cake!"

"Oh, lucky me."

"Indeed! Don't you want to dance in the dark with neon lights all around?" She smiled in awe at the thought.

"Not reall-"

"I knew you'd agree!"

"So what now anyways? There's still the entire afternoon until the event, how long is it anyw-"