Chapter 11

After the sunset we gather the food we got at the market and a quilt and make our way to the field of roses. It's beautiful to have a midnight picnic here. The weather is still warm from the hot day.

"I'll tell you my secret after you eat." he says.

"You're not hungry?"

"Not really." he says. It's silent for a while and this makes me anxious. I want to know what he wants to tell me. When I finish he turns and smiles.

"So what are you going to tell me?" I say and he reaches his hands out. I place my hands in his.

"I'm just going to say it. I'm a vampire." he says and I pause somewhat shocked.

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Ok." I say nodding.

"Yep." he says then lifts a hand to brush his thumb against my cheek.

"You ok?" he asks.

"Yeah just surprised. So is that why you don't like the sun?"

"Yeah. The idea that I burn up in the sun is exaggerated. It's just that it hurts my eyes."

"I see. What about your teeth?"

"I can make my sharp ones appear and disappear at will." he says opening his mouth and showing me.

"My goodness! Make them come back out!" I say and he does so. I put my hand out and he grabs my hand.

"Don't. My teeth are sharp and can instantly cut you." he says pulling them back in. I frown.

"So do you really drink just blood?"

"I drink from animals, but every once in a while I eat food if I have to make it seem like I'm human."

"My gosh. So much trouble." I say shaking my head and he smiles pulling me to him.

"I'm glad you didn't freak out and things." he says and I smile.

"I'm glad you shared your secret. I won't tell anyone. It's safe with me."