Chapter 48

Jason hands me down from the carriage and we join arms. The five of us go in together and I have my fan out covering the bottom half of my face as we walk in. I survey the crowd and all eyes are on us.

"You all really are popular here." I murmur and he laughs.

"We each own a small part of the city, and donate a lot." I say and I glance up at him.

"Oh yes that will surely get everyone's attention." I say and we're joined by the other three.

"Would you care to dance Ms. Talia?" Simion whispers and that unsettling feeling I get whenever he's around appears again but I push it back. I glance at Jason who nods.

"Yes I would like to." I say and go dance one song with him. It's efficient and we dance it to the letter in complete silence. After we're done he place me right back with Jason and promptly leaves without a word. Well then. Jason slither's into my mind.

Ah you're bothered by his attitude. Don't worry about him. I told him to be silent around you because let us just say he never says good things.

Oh. I see. I think back.

He casually pulls me against him leaving my mind again. I edge away and he growls softly but allows me to have some space.

"I'm going to walk around for a bit." i say and glance at him. He nods. Everyone watches me as I go by but don't try to speak to me. I sigh and go get a drink and wander some more. I'm thinking of going back to Jason when a man approaches me.

"Hello." I say and take a sip of my brew.

"Talia." he says and I jerk looking at him.

"Vincent." I breath out his name like a prayer. I set my glass down on the tray of a passing servant and fold my hands together.

"You don't seem excited to see me."

"Of course I am. I just don't want to alert the Jason and the others." I say.

"Let's go for a dance then. We can talk about what's happening and what we'll do about this, problem." he says extending his hand.

"Alright." I say taking it and he pulls me deeper into the crowd, right into the waltz.