Chapter 45

The next morning I wake up in a nice mood. I look out the window and sigh. Nice and sunny with the birds singing. We all have breakfast together again then we're all together for a game of pool. I'm surprisingly second. I think they barely tried just to make me feel good. Lunch we all go out to eat and then Jason tells me the ball is tonight.

"It's perfect timing. With your arrival this will be like your welcome party to you from the town." Jason says.

"Oh no I'm not that important to everyone."

"If you're with you most certainly are. The party is a masquerade ball and you will be the most beautiful woman there."

"But I don't have a mask." I say.

"I made you one silly." he says tapping my nose. I scrunch my nose in dislike.

"Sorry." he says.

"It's fine." I say and take his arm.

"Now tell me about this mask." I say and he smiles. He leads me into the parlor where a medium sized box is at.

"That's too big for just a mask." I say.

"There is a hat to go with the mask." he says and I smooth my hands over the red velvet box preparing myself to open it.

"Go on." he urges me and I do it. It's a black mask with black jewels and small swirls of silver. The hat is red satin like my dress with a black sash. Jessie walks up behind me.

I have black gloves that will go with that and I already removed the normal dress sash and put in a black one. Anna has the same shoe size as you and would like you to borrow her black heels.

She whispers in my mind.

That's very kind of you both. Thank you. I think and she smiles and slips close wrapping her arms around me.

Of course. You're like a sister to us. She thinks and grazes her teeth against my neck and I gasp in surprise. She withdraws quickly and then Jason yanks her back farther.

"Jessamine how dare you." he hisses angrily.