Chapter 5

Dinner was quiet and quick that night. The night passed quickly and everyone was off to bed. Eliza fell asleep rather quickly. She woke somewhat later in the morning  and showered. When she returned to her room, she spotted a note on her bed that said her name on the envelope. Eliza opened the envelope and began to read what was inside.

Betsey,

I had a great time with you yesterday even though I had to force you to jump out of a cave and down a waterfall. Tonight we will be having a ball-like party that will start around 7 PM. Dress fancy. And we are having some guests here for that so be prepared. They have all been told you, your sisters, and your friend are not for dinner. And I'll kill anyone who tries to hurt you because it is my job to keep you safe. See you later!

-Alexander

Eliza smiled as she read this. Something about Alexander made her happy. He was very charming even though he made her nervous. Eliza wondered if it was the fact that he was a vampire or that he was so handsome. Alexander was also mysterious and Eliza was worried he was trying to hide something. She swallowed her fear and smiled at the letter. She placed it in a small box that was on the vanity where she began to collect things that meant a little something to her. 

Eliza went downstairs into the kitchen to find her sisters and her friend sitting there, "Where are the guys?" Eliza asked. "They're preparing for tonight! John is letting me go as his date!" Peggy said with an excited giggle. "Lafayette is going as mine!" Angelica squealed after. Maria tried to hold in excitement but she bursted out, "I told Hercules I'd go with him!" Eliza smiled at their joy, "I'm glad you're all happy." They all turned and looked at Eliza, "Did Alexander ask you to be his date?" Maria asked eagerly. "No, he asked me to go but not as his date..." Eliza said.

Angelica gave Eliza a look, "How do you feel about Alexander?" Eliza shrugged with a small smile, "I dunno..." Peggy's bead shot up, "Ooh Eliza you so like him!" Eliza's face turned red, "shush! Okay so maybe I do a little but it's all fine! I'm not even sure if he likes me back! I just came to get something to eat... we have to start getting ready soon." Maria looked at Eliza with a confused expression, "it's two o'clock." Eliza turned to her, "I know... but I have to eat, pick out a dress, do my hair, my makeup, pick out shoes, get dressed... it's a long process..." Angelica looked at Maria, "she has a point." Eliza shrugged and walked out of the room. 

After Eliza went up to her room and soon heard her sisters and Maria walking outside to their rooms. Eliza was inside her closet, searching for a dress and finally, she found the perfect one. The dress was long and light blue, the top was not too low cut and the bottom flowed out nicely. White floral designs on the skirt of the dress helped pull the piece together. Eliza quickly found a matching pair of heels and hung the dress up outside of her closet. She sat at her vanity and found some jewelry sitting there for her. A necklace of diamonds that was not too extravagant and matching earrings.Eliza first did her hair, curling it and putting a part of it up. She moved onto her makeup, putting on not too much but just enough. Finally, Eliza got dressed. It was 6:55 by the time she deemed herself perfect to go. She found a piece of paper telling her how to get there through the halls of the house. Without warning, however, the heel on one of Eliza's shoes broke and she was sent back into her closet to search for a new pair. It took her a while, but she finally found a new pair. She checked the time and it was 7:15! She rushed through the halls by herself and eventually found the ballroom.

Eliza entered the ballroom from the top of the grand staircase. Heads turned as she walked in and entered at just about 7:25. Alexander's head did not turn first, he did not notice her coming in until someone pointed her out. He felt something inside of him that was unfamiliar. He marveled at Eliza's beauty. He smiled and did not let it hide this time. He pushed through the crowd to get to her and smiled as she stepped down the last step. 

Eliza smiled at Alexander, seeing him smile was almost comforting. "You look amazing, tonight, Eliza." Alexander told her. Eliza thanked him. "Wanna dance?" Alexander asked, holding out his hand to Eliza. Eliza gladly accepted and took his hand. Eliza felt her heart leap with joy over this moment. When they danced together and Eliza felt magical. She felt joy and happiness in her heart, but she worried that Alexander just wanted to be friends.

As the night went on, Alex and Eliza each danced with different people. It was the second to last dance of the night when the man whom Eliza was dancing with took her over to the side. Eliza did not feel comfortable with this. He seemed to corner Eliza. He pinned Eliza to the wall and whispered in her ear, "You shouldn't be here... but soon that won't matter- you're done, Elizabeth." Eliza gulped she didn't know what this meant.

Alexander noticed Eliza's disappearance after a few minutes and ran to find her. He saw this man, Charles Lee, choking Eliza and saying, "Don't worry, it makes it hurt less when I suck all the blood from your body!" Alexander was filled with rage, "LEE!" He shouted.

The ballroom went quiet as Alexander approached the scene. He went up to Lee and growled, "Let her go! Or I will end you." Lee held onto Eliza's small neck until she passed out. Lee dropped Eliza on the ground, "What are you gonna do, Hamilton?" Lee said.

Alexander's rage was at its peak now. He punched Lee right across the face. Lee went back swinging. The two fought each other until Lafayette, John, and Hercules broke it up. Lee was thrown out and the ball ended early. Alexander picked Eliza up and carried her to her room. He removed only her shoes before placing her in bed and laying a secret kiss on her forehead.