Chapter 22

The place they were in seemed like a maze. No one knew where to go, but they were all separated and no one had found Eliza yet. Then at a point, everyone ran into each other in one hallway. They noticed some guards- Alex had the plan that they take them down and take their equipment so they would blend in. They did just that and walked around like they were guards.

Eliza sat in an empty room, tied up to a chair. She impatiently sighed. She was scared and frustrated and wondered if anyone even knew if she were gone. The door opened and to her surprise, in ran Alexander. Well, it looked like them, sounded like him, even felt like him... but it was not him. It was Thomas who had used some sort of shape shifting thing to look like Alexander.

A group of guards stood around a large screen and watched the scene play out. The seven vampires and humans walked over and saw what was happening. Alexander was screaming inside. He needed to go. He needed to find his love. He worried she would be hurt. All of this, but he could not look away.

Eliza's head shot up hopefully, "Alexander!" She said. The Alexander look alike hurried over to the girl and said, "Eliza, I was so worried. Are you alright? Did they hurt you?" Eliza shook her head a bit, "I'm alright- I'm not hurt." The fake Alexander pressed his lips to Eliza's and bit her bottom lip a little on purpose. Eliza noticed something was off- Alexander never did that because he didn't want to scare Eliza or accidentally cut her lip, "Why did you bite my lip like that?" She said. The look alike froze, but then spoke, "It was an accident. Now, let's get you out of here my Eliza." 

This is when Eliza stopped. The lip biting could have gotten passed her, but the phrase "my Eliza." is what threw her off- it was always "my Betsey" and never "my Eliza." Now, Eliza got a closer look and realized his eyes were not the same. They were not his. This was not her husband. 

Eliza looked at the imposter and said, "Where is my husband? You are not him." As the real Alexander watched, he felt a sense of joy inside him when his wife spoke these words. The imposter changed into the face of Thomas Jefferson and Eliza tried to keep her best poker face.

"Where is the real Alexander?" Eliza asked. Thomas put his fingers on Eliza's chin, tipping it up a little, "He's not here, darling. Maybe soon... Or maybe not..." He placed his lips on Eliza's but she recoiled back in disgust. Thomas gave Eliza a stone cold look that was a warning for her not to fight against him. She didn't say anything now and Thomas left the room. 

The group of the seven that was trying to find Eliza now moved quickly in their small groups. Eliza had been moved to a cell-like place with a glass door, which was guarded by several people. The girl in the wedding dress sat on the ground of that cell and would not look out of it. 

Alexander was the first to find the cell- he called the group and when everyone answered, he told them to come. They all came and pretended like it was their turn to be on the shift guarding Eliza's cell. They waited until it was just the eight of them.

Alexander was the first to move, he knelt down and took the helmet-like thing off of his head and looked at her, "Eliza!" Eliza looked up- she looked at him and immediately knew that this was really her husband. Eliza hurried forward and put a hand on the glass, "Alexander!" Alex smiled, "My love, are you alright?" Eliza somewhat shrugged, "I guess..." She looked at the others behind him, but they all took off their helmets and Eliza smiled. 

Her face dropped a minute later, "You all need to get out of here..." She warned. Alexander's face was serious when he said, "We're not leaving without you." Eliza shook her head, "You don't understand... that's what he wants you to do. He wants you to all be here so her can hurt you... He figured that I was the key to getting all of you here..."

Thomas appeared behind them without a word with James Madison and Aaron Burr by his side along with some guards. Thomas has a smirk on his face when he said, "She's right. You just fell right into my trap."