Chapter 27

Frostpaw and Nettlepaw are out taking their warrior assessments. Their mentors believe they are ready, so they are taking them today. Mistystorm waits for her friends to return impatiently.

I really hope they pass it. Mistystorm thinks. She is bitting close to the highbranch beside Bearclaw.

"Come on, Frostpaw and Nettlepaw, I know you can do it. Do it for Toadpaw." Mistystorm hears Bearclaw say quietly.

"They should be done by now, right?" Mistystorm asks, getting a little worried.

"Yeah, they should be back any time now." Bearclaw replies. Then, like they called it, Frostpaw and Nettlepaw walk back into camp along with their mentors and Ashstar. The two young warriors watch excitedly as Ashstar heads towards the highbranch, leaping up on it.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath the high branch for a meeting!" Ashstar calls out. The rest of the clan then gathers beneath the high branch.

"Today, two apprentices have passed their warrior assessments and are ready to become warriors of ShadowClan." Ashstar announces.

Yay! They did it! Mistystorm thinks.

"Frostpaw, please come forward." Ashstar says. Then, Frostpaw does what he is told.

"I, Ashstar, leader of ShadowClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend him to you as a warrior in his turn." Ashstar meows. She then looks down at Frostpaw. He looks back up at her happily.

"Frostpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" She meows.

"I do." Frostpaw then responds.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Frostpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Frostpath. StarClan honors your kindness and lightheartedness, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ShadowClan." Ashstar meows.

The clan begins to cheer his new warrior name. "Frostpath! Frostpath!" They cheer.

"Thank you so much, Ashstar!" Frostpath meows happily and steps back to where he was. 

"Now, Nettlepaw, please come forward." Ashstar meows. Nettlepaw does what she is told. Mistystorm watches, proud of her friends.

"I, Ashstar, leader of ShadowClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn." Ashstar meows. She looks down at Nettlepaw.

"Nettlepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" She asks the apprentice.

"I do." Nettlepaw responds.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Nettlepaw, from this moment on you will be known as Nettlebreeze. StarClan honors your hunting skill and loyalty and we welcome you as a full warrior of ShadowClan." Ashstar meows.

The clan then cheers her new warrior name. "Nettlebreeze! Nettlebreeze!" They cheer.

Ashstar leaps off of the high branch and rests her muzzle on both Frostpath's and Nettlebreeze's heads and the two new warriors each lick their leader's shoulder.

I feel bad that Toadpaw isn't with them. He wanted this so bad. Mistystorm thinks.

"The clan meeting is now dismissed." Ashstar announces and then walks off.

Mistystorm and Bearclaw rush over to their friends, excitedly.

"You're warriors now! Congratulations!" Bearclaw meows happily.

"We're so proud of the two of you and I bet Toadpaw is too!" Mistystorm meows.

"Thank you! I'm so happy!" Frostpath meows.

"So am I! You know what? We should go and celebrate!" Nettlebreeze suggests happily.

"I'm in!" Bearclaw meows.

"So am I!" Frostpath replies.

"So... how exactly are we going to celebrate?" Mistystorm asks, worried that they might do something that they're not supposed to do.

"We maybe should just walk through the territory and play around a little?" Nettlebreeze suggests.

"Sounds good to me." Mistystorm replies.

"Let's go then! Race you to the clearing!" Frostpath meows happily, dashing off towards the exit of the camp.

"Wait up!" The other three cats meow in unison, chasing after Frostpath. Nettlebreeze catches up to Frostpath last minute and beats him to the clearing.

"Ha! You had a head start and I still beat you!" Nettlebreeze claims. Mistystorm and Bearclaw then reach the clearing.

"This reminds me of the first time we did the training tradition here together." Frostpath meows. "I remember that Sagepool was disappointed when she didn't do well. Now, it turns out she wasn't meant to be a warrior all along." He meows. Bearclaw nods.

"This is kind of embarrassing, but I thought you were flirting with Sagepool and I thought Toadpaw was trying to flirt with Mistystorm." Bearclaw admits. "I felt so uncomfortable." He meows.

"I mean, who wouldn't flirt with Sagepool, even back then? She's super gorgeous. Too bad she chose the path of a medicine cat. It really fits her though. Plus, she's happy, so I'm happy too." Frostpath responds.

"Yeah, even as a she-cat, I think she's really beautiful." Nettlebreeze meows.

"We should've asked her to join us." Frostpath meows.

"Yeah.." Bearclaw meows.

"Anyways, let's keep on moving!" Nettlebreeze meows happily. "We're supposed to be celebrating, not reflecting!" She meows.

"You're right, let's go." Mistystorm meows. Then, the young warriors continue to walk around together.