Chapter 9: Decision (Edited)

(Edited Version)

I sat in front of a tree at the edge of the village, facing the forest.

At first, I was really hopeful. I'd never visited another village before in my life, and I thought maybe it would be different.

But after hours and hours of trying to get a job, my hope died.

Nobody wanted a worker like me: a bony, short, and weak boy who had nothing but dirty clothes. I went to the stores, blacksmiths, teahouses, and other places. But, nobody hired me.

I even pleaded at them, but they were firm.

So, I gave up even though I didn't visit all the places that might need workers. It was clear that nobody would hire me.

I sighed, glancing behind at the villagers of this village. They all looked happy and carefree: the adults were walking on the streets, greeting each other warmly while the kids ran around playing and laughing. There was no depression or pain on their faces.

They didn't even notice that I was here.

I laughed bitterly.

Why would they? I was just a strange nobody, after all. That fact made me feel lonelier all of a sudden.

"I wish I could be one of them," I said under my breath. Then, I rubbed my forehead in worry. "How am I suppose to live now . . . ?"

Before I could fall into a hole of worry and desperation, I sensed someone approaching me. Glancing up, I saw who it was. A wide smile grew on my face as worry vanished.

"Hi, Ahri."

Ahri smiled back at me from underneath her hood.

"Hi, little one."

Ahri sat on the ground right next to me, looking down at the ground with a strange smile on her face. "How's your attempt at getting a job going?"

"Not good," I said in a small voice.

"Oh."

Ahri was silent for a moment. Then she said, "I guess we both are having a bad day right now . . ."

I looked at her. "Wh-what do you mean by that?"

Ahri raised her head and stared at the horizon of the forest, where we were facing while sitting in front of the tree and the sun that was setting amongst the top branches of the trees. "Well, Jeffric," Ahri said, sadness evident in her voice. "I guess I should tell you why I came to this village in the first place to explain that."

Her eyes stared into oblivion for a second. At that moment, she looked so lonely and grief-stricken.

"When I was only a little girl, I lived on the northern part of the First Lands with the icefoxes. I didn't have, and still don't have, the memories of my parents. The only things I have from them are these." Ahri pulled out the pair of matching gemstones and showed it to me.

Guilt started to fill me because they were the objects that I tried to steal from Ahri when I first saw her.

'What have I done . . . ?'

"I-I'm sorry . . ." I whispered, lowering my head in shame. If only I'd known that those gemstones were really precious to her when I tried stealing them from her . . .

"It's okay, dear," Ahri said in a kind voice, making me flinch by patting me on my head. I stared at her in disbelief. Nobody in my life had patted me on the head before and it actually felt nicer than I'd imagined.

She didn't notice my surprise and continued her story:

"I wanted to know who they were or who left me these gemstones. So, after doing many things that now I feel guilty of, I started to search for my origin." Her voice started to tremble while telling me these things. "At last, I finally found out who made these gemstones. A treacherous fortune-teller told me that these gemstones were made by a legendary sculptor known as Ymelo. And, I—" she hesitated for a moment. Then, after drawing in a shuddering breath, she continued, "—I saw a man who may possibly lead me to answers. But—"