十七

de diecisiete
+

"wow, your apartment's nice and spacious." eunwoo said as he followed joy into the living room. "should i live with yo─"

"what the hell was that?" joy turned around and faced eunwoo, sending death glares at him.

"what was what?" eunwoo began but eventually realized what she was talking about. "are you mad?" he asked, raising an eyebrow and a small smirk playing on his lips.

"oh no, i'm not mad. i am enraged! infuriated! furious!" she raved, her eyes burning with anger.

"and since when were we dating, huh?!"

"oh come on, sooyoung noona." the tall boy chuckled nervously. "you know that was a joke. i just wanted to see how'd he react."

"that was not something to joke or lie about, lee dong min!"

eunwoo widened his eyes from hearing his birth name leaving joy's mouth. in all three years of their friendship, he only heard her say his real name twice, this being the third time. the one time she spoke that name was when eunwoo gave her a glass of milk that secretly contained wasabi as a prank. even though it was suppose to be a fun and "harmless" prank, joy ended up getting food poisoning because turns out, the milk eunwoo used was already expired (he didn't know). for about the second time joy called out his birth name was when eunwoo came over joy's grandparents house during his visit in jeju and stayed there. he voluntarily organized joy's room while she was out for university. joy had come home the afternoon and found that her three-paged essay that was due the next day was missing because eunwoo accidentally threw it away. enraged, joy kicked him out and he had to stay at his aunt and uncle's place. both times that eunwoo angered joy, she refused to speak to him for weeks so he had to bribe her with chicken and pizza.

"why are you suddenly getting worked up for?" eunwoo queried, as he slumped down the sofa. "don't tell me you're worried about what taehyung hyung thinks."

standing in front of him, joy glared down at eunwoo, her eyebrows furrowed and her eyes glossy. her lips were shut close in a thin straight line. she was suddenly silent.

eunwoo blinked, then scoffed sarcastically. "you're worried." he stated, a matter of factly. "what are you worried for? he said 'congratulations.' he's happy for you, why are you so worried about it?"

"shut up." joy mumbled through gritted teeth, tears threatening to fall from her eyes.

this time, it was time for eunwoo to have his eyebrows crinkled. his eyes showed a mix of disbelief and slight frustration. he was silent for a few moments and when he finally spoke, though not very obvious, his voice sounded a bit shaky and angry.

"are you still in love with him?!"

the two shared a look which seemed to last for a hours, rather than a few seconds. unable to control her emotions, tears began falling from joy's eyes. right there, she broke into a sobs. upon seeing this, eunwoo's heart broke a little. he was suddenly startled, but after recovering his senses, he immediately got off  from the couch and stood straight in front of joy. taking one step closer, he wrapped his arms around the girl, his right hand placed over her head and his left on her back.

"don't cry," eunwoo whispered to her ear softly. yet her cries continue. feeling pained from hearing her cry, he tightened his embrace around her gently that made joy feel secured and protected. her body shook against eunwoo's as tears continue to flow from her eyes.

"...i couldn't help it," she cried, her face buried on eunwoo's chest. "after all these years,

i still love him..."

-

a/n: there you go!