三十一

treinta y uno
+

slowly, eunwoo's eyelids fluttered open. he immediately saw white, the color of the ceiling. his eyes travelled from the ceiling to the area beside him. he saw a very familiar environment, something he got used to seeing over the years: hospital bedroom. however, something entirely new was present in the room, sitting on the couch. it was kim taehyung.

eunwoo's eyes widened, unsure and surprised as to why taehyung was there. taehyung slowly lifted his head and met eyes with eunwoo. the look in his eyes was unreadable and eunwoo wasn't really feeling sure as to how he should feel either.

"you're awake." taehyung said.

"...how did you..?" eunwoo started. "why are you here?"

"that doesn't matter." taehyung stated. "i'm gonna look for a doctor."

eunwoo silently watched as taehyung left the room. questions how this situation came to be occupied his mind and he felt himself panicking for a bit. no one else knew about his illness except his family and doctor. he tried so hard to hide it from others, especially joy. now that taehyung found out, what if he tells her?!

few minutes later, taehyung appeared in the room again, along with a doctor and a nurse. eunwoo tried to sit up on his bed but failed to do so with his sole strength. taehyung walked towards him and helped him sit up again. this time, succeeding.

"thanks," eunwoo muttered and switched his gaze to the doctor.

"how are you feeling, mr. cha?" dr. kang asked. "any pain?"

"not really." he replied.

"that's good." dr. kang smiled. however, his smile disappeared shortly and was replaced by a concerned look. "now, mr. cha, i'm afraid it's time you start getting ready."

eunwoo's eyebrows began to crinkle and his eyes seemed to dig daggers in dr. kang. yet he remained silent.

"it's important that we can keep an eye on you at all times from now on." dr. kang continued. "and you probably know this as well, there isn't much time left."

after a few moments of more silent staring, eunwoo finally let out a shaky sigh. "i'll think about it, dr. kang."

the doctor nodded. "please do."

the hospital personnels began to leave the room, but dr. kang turned on his heels and looked back at eunwoo. "oh, i almost forgot to add 一 while you're at it, do consider the surgery i talked to you about again."

eunwoo did not answer, but lowered his head. once he heard the door slide shut, he looked up once again and immediately saw taehyung standing across him with a serious look on his face.

"we need to talk." taehyung said.