三十八

treinta y ocho
+

"then i'll come visit you again tomorrow." joy said, looking into eunwoo's eyes. eunwoo smiled and nodded. then, he opened his arms up and joy went in for a hug. they stayed embracing each other for a few moments until joy finally had to leave. she walked out of the room, her heart hammering against her ribs. once she closed the door behind her, she heaved a deep sigh and turned to start walking but stopped when she saw taehyung sitting on a chair beside the room. she watched as taehyung stood up from his seat and looked at her. pursing her lips together, she walked towards him and him to her until they were a meter apart.

"..are you okay?" taehyung asked softly, but when joy didn't say anything, he continued to say, "sorry that was a stupid question."

"so this was the secret you were talking about." joy breathed, her eyes glossy. "guess im in on the secret now too."

taehyung frowned, "i'm sorry. i couldn't tell you, i made a promise."

she stared into his eyes for a moment before shaking her head. "it's okay, i understand." she said softly. "...i just feel so sorry for him. i still can't believe this is happening."

joy's body was still shaking slightly. taehyung noticed and by instinct, he extended his arms towards her and pulled her into a gentle embrace. he felt joy's body stiffen up but after a while, she eventually relaxed and let herself be in his arms. they stayed like that for a while, with taehyung's hands gently rubbing joy's back while she leaned her head against his chest.

after all these years, this was the first time they ever hugged.