四十三

cuarenta y tres

+

by the end of the day, taehyung and joy was  extremely exhausted. but despite that, they were contended. joy's day started out grim but she ended up having fun thanks to taehyung. she felt grateful and appreciated taehyung's consideration. 

the two was back in taehyung's car and the sun was already setting in the horizon. "lets-'s go home now?" he asked as he settled himself in the driver's seat. 

"uhm actually," joy began. "is it okay if you drop me off the hospital?" i told eunwoo i'd come visit him again today."

"ah." taehyung almost forgot about eunwoo and he felt bad. "right, of course. i'll visit him too then and we can go home together."

joy smiled. "okay."

the ride to the hospital was quiet. but it was a comfortable silence with a soft melody playing in the radio. joy stared out the window and watched the sun disappear, the sky turning into the shade of black. after a while, they finally arrived. as they were walking in the hallway on the way to eunwoo's room, the rapid noise of beeping and alert voices caught their attention. it was coming from eunwoo's hospital room.

feeling a heavy dread in her chest, joy immediately runs toward it and taehyung followed behind. she stood in front of the open door and saw a group of doctors and nurses surrounding eunwoo's bed. eunwoo was there on his bed, but something was wrong. blood was trickling down from his mouth and his arms and legs were jerking. doctors were trying to treat him and joy could only stand there and watch in horror. she began to cry and taehyung hugged her.

"what's wrong with him?" joy cried. "what's happening?"

"it's okay," taehyung whispered. "he'll be fine. the doctors will help him."

eventually, eunwoo's body came to a rest and he lost consciousness. the doctors and nurses took some time examining him before they piled out of the room one by one. joy stops one doctor and asked about eunwoo's condition.

"he'll be fine for now." dr. kang said, but it only made joy worried.

"for now?" she asked. "so is this going to happen again? will he get worse?"

"im so sorry but it is inevitable." the doctor shook his head. "he's strongly adamant about the surgery so we cannot do anything but wait."

"wait, what surgery?" joy furrowed her eyebrows. "does he still have a chance if he undergoes surgery?"

dr. kang nodded. "yes, but at this point, we cannot guarantee if he'll survive. he's been sick and left untreated for too long, the survival rate is extremely low. besides, he doesn't want it and we cannot force our patients."

joy felt torn. so either way, there's the outcome of death. "but it's worth a try, right?" joy asked, seeking reassurance.

he gave a sympathetic smile. "yes it is."