191. Cartoon

January 8, 2019

"Think of your favorite cartoon or comic. Write a poem or story that takes place in that setting."

_______________________________________

'There is no competition for Obelix,' he sighed as he collected that last of the helmets, which were proof of his victory. He would call it annihilation and he did not need the proof but then rules are rules, the one with the maximum helmets won. So it was with a smug smile that he turned back to the village, the two dozen helmets balanced precariously in his hands, he would have had one more if that Roman soldier had not made a run for it. Another thing to complain about the newly recruited soldiers, they rarely gave a good fight, not that anyone could last for more than five seconds before his fists. Yes, Sir, there was no competition for Obelix.

Unfortunately, instead of the hero's welcome he expected, he faced the wrath of the villagers, with Impedimenta, Chief Vitalstastix's actually being held back by her husband, though she was waving her trusty rolling pin at him. Well, that explained why the Chief was not being carried on his shield, which was also unusual. Bewildered, he turned towards his friend, Asterix who was also glaring at him as was Getafix the village druid. The only one not angry was Cacafonix, the village bard, who on seeing the victorious Obelix, announced to song in his honour. He never got to sing it, he did not even closed his mouth after the announcement, when Fulliautomatix pounded him to the ground with one swing of his hammer. That was the only time, Obelix felt a pang of disappointment that Cacofonix did not get to sing.

But there were other pressing matters, the primary one being why the villagers were glaring at him instead of organising a feast. Seeing his askance, Asterix sighed, it was difficult to be angry with his friend, especially one who had no clue as to what crime he had committed. So despite his anger, he said, "Obelix, that was a new contingent of Roman soldiers and all of us were supposed to get a hand in beating them up. Now you have gone around doing it alone and have stole the fight from all of us."

Obelix grimaced, "Now that would not have been possible if you were not so slow, I did not stop you guys, you were just too slow."

Getafix interrupted, "That is because we need the magic potion before we got to battle...and NO...you will not get a drop to drink, never. You fell into a cauldron full of that stuff when you were a baby and drank it all, it has a permanent effect on you and even a drop more could harm you."

Obelix squeezed his eyes shut, 'it was unfair, they never let him taste it..' His rumination was cut short when they heard a command, apparently the twenty five member team was the scout and the runaway soldier had not made it back to warn his comrades.

The villagers smiled as one and Obelix, in a rare generous moment gave them a five minute head start. The column was decimated though no single villager got twenty four of them and Obelix decided that he had won.

That night, as with most nights following a day spent in glorious fight, was celebrated with a feast of roasted boars and Cacafonix gagged and tied to the nearby tree. He had announced to sing for the victory feast, one which did not go down well with the villagers.

 He had announced to sing for the victory feast, one which did not go down well with the villagers

__________________________

word count 560