236. Liar Liar

February 22, 2019

"Make up a poem or story of complete lies about yourself or someone else."

________________________________

Flawless smooth skin, with a golden wheatish hue. Arched black eyebrows, bordering a row of thick black eyelashes, from beneath which peer a pair of large green eyes, green that is vivid emerald, redolent of drenched grass with sparkling dew drops. Cheekbones, high with a hint of rose. Lips that are perfect, an epitome of a poet's fantasy or the work of an artist' s brush; not to red, not too pink, just in between with a soft shine the promise wonders if parted.

That is the face in the mirror, one that looks beautiful and promises perfection. It is also a lie for each perfect looking attribute is a mask, carefully assembled with paints and brushes. It hides blemishes, conceals the flaws but then it covers up who you are - an imperfect person with faults and cracks, scars and warts, a fighter and a survivor.

The mirror is a liar, it shows what you look like under a coat of paint, so that you can pretend to be perfect and whole. It weakens us for it is difficult for us to face our real selves, to see who are, with all our flaws on the proud display. It paints a picture perfect face which only buries the true self beneath false smiles and sorry tales.

The mirror is the biggest liar.

________________________

Word count 220 - unfortunately an unintended preachy piece. And completely off the prompt...