219. Irony

February 5, 2019

"Write about an ironic situation you've been in throughout your life."

____________________________________

Irony - /ˈʌɪrəni/

noun

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

"'Don't go overboard with the gratitude,' he rejoined with heavy irony"

synonyms: sarcasm, sardonicism, dryness, causticity, sharpness, acerbity, acid, bitterness, trenchancy, mordancy, cynicism; More

a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result.

plural noun: ironies

"the irony is that I thought he could help me"

synonyms: paradox, paradoxical nature, incongruity, incongruousness, peculiarity

"the irony of the situation hit her"

a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions is clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.

noun: dramatic irony; plural noun: tragic irony

The irony of my life - choosing to be an accountant instead of a doctor - there are a number of reasons but the ironic one - I was not sure if I could deal with late nights and emergency shifts and the working weekends, I wanted a career where taking the weekends off would not be a guilt trip.

Irony - in my audit career, I did all three - late nights and emergency shifts and the working weekends without the satisfaction that what I did contributed to society or mankind or at least a couple of persons.

Guess working late nights and weekends was destined for me, but as a doctor it could be emotionally rewarding.

------------------------------------------------------------