207. Volcano

January 24, 2019

"Write about an eruption of a volcano."

___________________________________

Hot, angry yellow molten masses, a liquid rock, a bed of magma. It is on this bed that the other layers of Earth's crust sit on, more than a dozen rigid tectonic plates, floating on the sea of liquid rock. The plates are not fixed and keep sliding over each other, causing ridges, shifting pressures and there are places where the converge and diverge. These are the weak points, the fissures which could be an outlet for the hot gases.

As the edges of the molten lava cools and solidifies, a new crust is formed but thinner than the older ones, hence weaker. As the tectonic plates move and pull at each other, an expansive pressure is created, causing the mantle to melt and release the magma. But the visually horrifying ones are those when an oceanic plate and a continental plate collide, causing a break in the crust.

Freed from the confines of the mantle, the gases sizzle upwards, in a desperate bid to escape; releasing into the air thick plumes of smoke and ash. And when the oceanic water lowers the melting point of the mantle, columns of magma, viscous and bubbling rises to the surface to overflow as fiery lava.

A spectacle of how beautiful destruction could be is hot lava flowing out from the mouth of a volcano crater, annihilating everything in its path - red hot, fiery gold is the colour of this destruction.

___________________________

Word count 237