248. At the Park

March 7, 2019

"Take some time to sit on a park bench and write about the sights, scenes, and senses and emotions you experience."

_____________________________________

She often sat on the bench, a regular visitor to the park, always alone and mostly with a calm expression. One could not make out much from her face, but it was clear that she did not welcome company, for she was always reading from a book. Once in a while, she would look up and glance around her surroundings.

She looked calm and content, happy in solitude. Nothing could be further than the truth, for she was lonely and wistful longings plagued her when she was the people around her. Young children playing without a care, laughing at silly antics. Babies cooing as they were pushed in strollers  by adoring mothers. Toddlers running with unsteady gaits,  wobbling with lovable grace. Young couples walking hand in hand, eyes only for each other. Middle aged couples and groups, gossiping about life in general. Indulgent grandparents discussing economics, politics and grandchildren.

All of them had someone to talk to, a home to go back to, the park was just a moment of relaxation and fun before they went back to home and companionship. Not for her, only the vista changed, open air for closed walls, green grass for cold tiles, strangers' voices for familiar silence, it did not matter where she was, she was alone.

___________________________________________

Word count - 211