263. Symbolism

March 22, 2019

"Think of objects, animals, etc. that have symbolic meaning to you. Write about it."

______________________________________

Symbolism is the use of symbols to represent ideas or qualities, and is usually an object representing another, to give an entirely different meaning that is much more deeper and more significant. I guess it started when a single object, a picture or a pictogram was used to indicate the deeper and extensive meaning, more like a subtle reminder of the idea that symbol represented.

Unfortunately, with passage of time the symbol became more important and in certain instances, the idea or object that symbol represented has been lost. Or idea has lost its relevance but the symbol is so beautiful that it still captivates our imagination. The distinction between the symbol and the object it represents has been deleted and the symbol is now treated as the object. And some have been so overused the charm has been lost or they are treated as cliches.

A symbol, when created has a deep meaning, a hidden significance, but more often than not, degenerates to what is looks like, a mere picture, rather than what is represents. A classic example is our holy books (irrespective of the religion) which contain the word of God, or so it is said. We spent all our time and energy on making and preserving them, some on gold foil, embellished with stones, wrapped up in protective cloth. We worship those books and fight over them, all the while forgetting that they might contain the word of God but are definitely not God and most probably not what God intended when man decided to write down the word of God. A powerful symbol that has lost its meaning in this time and age.

_________________________________

Word count 275