280. A Far Away Place

April 8, 2019

"Envision yourself traveling to a fictional place, what do you experience in your imaginary journey?"

_________________________________________________

He stood on the deck of the ship, as the captain gave the orders for departing. As the sails were unfurled, the anchors pulled up and the row boats towed up, he stood at the rails, watching the land where his home was.

'This was it,' he thought, 'I am finally leaving. To a new place, one which we have only heard, one which none of my forefathers have seen. A place that is new and strange, one from which I will never be back.'

He stared at the receding land, as the ship sailed further into the seas, each mile taking him away from home and closer to the new land. It filled him with melancholy and as the days passed, both homesickness and seasickness took over. The sea, the balmy winds and the expanse of water made him wretched, as he wondered if he would even be alive when he reached the new land. Maybe it would have been better if he had stayed behind, death would have found him there too, but he would be buried among family and there would have been friends to remember him. Death at sea meant a burial at sea, apparently the waters staked a claim to the bodies of those whose lives the sea had taken. 

He did not want a water grave and it was that which kept him alive, alive for all the months the ship took to  cross the ocean, alive till he caught sight of his destination, the new land.

______________________________________