198. Interview

January 15, 2019

"Write based on a recent interview you've read or seen on TV or heard on the radio."

_____________________________________

I read this quite a while ago, but then I did like it a lot and it is about my favourite singer, Asha Bhosle. It was an article written by her daughter, Varsha Bhosle; I would have read it because it was about Asha, but what caught my attention was the caption - "My Mother is branded a fallen woman"

It got me thinking, what is it about our human society, the one consisting of the so-called civilised humans, that we love labeling successful people? The greater the success the dirtier our labels. So a woman, who walks out on her abusive husband and works to build a life for her children, doing the only thing she could, sing, was a 'fallen woman.' Does not shock me and yet it does. 

It is strange, undesirable and yet rampant, successful people, especially women are always labelled, her success in any field attributed to being a result of sexual favours. It is, unfortunately, not a reflection of the truth (it could be true in very few cases, but by large, it is plain jealous dismissal of a woman's achievements by reducing her to a sexual object). Instead it echoes what our society is, one composed of both men and women wanting to be successful and yet ridicules success.

_____________________________

Word count 215