224. Drinks on Me

February 10, 2019

"Write a poem or short story that takes place at a bar."

_______________________________________________

She hated the idea of it but then she could not refuse Sonia, her friend, and Sonia, who knew it very well used it to her full advantage. In fact there were times when she felt the Sonia took unfair advantage of her weakness especially when it came to the issue of being social and mingling with a crowd. Sonia was a party girl, who worked hard and partied hard. She also worked hard and partied hard, only her definition of a party would be music, preferably instrumental classic, Vivaldi was her favourite, beverage, most likely coffee and books for company. It was definition that they did not agree on. And when Sonia had realised that she had agreed to two dates at two different pubs with two different men, it fell on her to meet one of the guys and explain the absence of his date.

Jiya was not happy, she hated bars, the noise, the smell of alcohol, the swaying of bodies on the dance floor, the flashing lights, everything. She had nothing against the people who indulged themselves, she wanted to  be left alone. And here she was, in a bar, in borrowed clothes, waiting for Sonia's date to appear, so that he could be brushed off. For the hundredth time, Jiya wondered why the same could not be done over phone.

_______________________________

Jai was not looking forward to the date, he had met Sonia a couple of times but then he was not too enamoured with her and though reluctant had made plans for the date. Even as he got ready he was kept wanting to reach for his mobile and call it off. But then it would be rude he felt, so he finally made it to the pub.

When he reached the bar and managed to wind his way to the counter, he was surprised to see a virtual stranger, dressed in a dress too long and too tight, who apparently was covering Sonia. She looked at him, back at her mobile and then at him again; finally having made up her mind, she gave a hesitant smile, "I am sorry, I am not sure what Sonia is thinking or wants, but then she wanted me to tell you in person, that she will not be able to come." Then as though she realised that he was staring at her clothes, apologised,"Not my idea, all Sonia's though why I had to wear her dress is way beyond my imagination. And now that you are here and I have given her message, I am going to leave. Thank you and sorry, once again."

And before Jai could say a word, Jiya walked, or rather ran out of the club.

___________________________________________

Jai was amused and bewildered, glad that his date with Sonia was a non-starter, though he puzzled about the girl whom he had met for a flash and who had disappeared before he could even say a word. 'A little like Cinderella, running away before midnight,' he thought, then was shocked at the parallels he had drawn. Unfortunately, unlike Cinderella there had not been a dance nor had a glass slipper left behind. But he knew Sonia and he could find out about the mysterious messenger. 

He smiled, and just maybe it would be the beginning of a tale.

____________________________

Word count 547/