Chapter 28: Instincts

I was watching Lapis paint vines on the wall above the crib. This place was our home now, and this was the first thing she wanted to do with it. We had moved in the week before.

"How long have you wanted to do this?" I asked.

"Since you started building," Lapis answered.

"Wow," I said. "That was two months ago! The baby was so much smaller!"

"Five months versus seven months pregnant looks very different," Lapis replied. "I literally can't go anywhere without at least one kid asking me if I'm gonna have a baby." She smiled. "They're so cute. I'm really excited."

"I'm excited, too," I said.

"Should I put pink or blue flowers on this?" Lapis asked.

"...why not both?" I answered.

"...I like that," Lapis said. "Pink and blue."

I continued to watch Lapis paint the wall carefully. She was careful not to make any mistakes. It fascinated me. It really looked perfect.

"By the way," Lapis said. "Did you see the little quilt your mom gave to us? It'll be perfect for the baby!"

"I think I did see it," I replied. "The green and blue one, right?"

"Yeah," Lapis answered. "It's really nice. I bet the baby will love it, won't you?" Lapis looked down at her stomach, suddenly smiling widely. "She kicked."

"Aw," I said. "I can't wait to meet her."

Lapis put her paint brush down in the paint can. "Done with that," she responded. "I have to wait for it to dry to do the next part."

"Okay," I said. "Do you want to do something together?"

"...hm," Lapis murmured. "I don't really know. I mean, yeah, I'd like to do something with you, I just don't know what."

"Why don't we go for a walk?" I asked.

"Okay," Lapis answered.

I took Lapis's hand and led her outside onto the beach. It was beginning to become cool outside. That was expected as it was almost fall.

"Are you cold?" I asked, immediately turning to Lapis.

"No," she answered. "It's just a little brisk. I can handle that." She sighed, rubbing her stomach with both of her hands.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"The baby has been kicking a lot," Lapis answered. "She's been so active."

"She's probably excited to meet you," I said.

That made Lapis smile. She squeezed my hand and laid her head on my shoulder.

"I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too," I responded.

I looked down at her left hand, which was left moving by her side. I saw the golden band around her ring finger. It brought me back to the beginning of summer. Our beautiful wedding in the sun. The beginning of a new era in our lives. We had become a family then. The baby had been there. She was still in Lapis's womb, of course, but she was there. She had kicked that night. What a wonderful day.

"Peri," Lapis said into my ear. I almost shivered.

"Yes?" I replied.

"C-cold," Lapis whispered.

I swept her up and ran back to the house. When we were inside, I slammed the door closed and sat on the couch with her, wrapping a blanket around us.