Chapter 52: Almost

It was quite the surprise that the thing that woke me up that night was not thunder. Instead, it was the pounding at the window and Peridot gripping my hand tightly. A sure sign that something was going wrong. Terribly wrong. Instinctively, my shield wrapped around Peridot and Turquoise.

"What's going on?" I asked, turning to Peridot.

"They're trying to get in again," she answered. "Annoying, isn't it?"

"Yeah," I said. "I wish they would just go away already."

"Me too," Peridot responded. "Every time it seems like there's peace, they always come back. It's like a never ending cycle."

"Sorry for smelling nice," I said.

Peridot snickered. "Don't apologize," she replied. "It's not really your fault, anyway. You can't control the scent of your blood unless you become a druggie or an alcoholic, neither of which would be super nice."

I held Peridot's hand as the pounding at the window continued. Eventually, the sound woke Turquoise up, and I got up to get her. I rocked her in my arms until she was calm again, and then I went back to watching the window. I could tell that the vampire staring at me was Fire Opal. She probably felt furious that her attempt to win the battle had failed because of her sister. Everywhere I moved, her eyes followed. No matter where I went, I wasn't going to be safe.

"What do we do?" I asked.

"...you can go back to sleep," Peridot answered. "All of us are on guard."

"All of us?" I asked.

"...it's getting close, Lapis," Peridot answered, turning to face me. "I can taste it in the air. We're going to kick their butts once and for all." She looked into my eyes. "Do me a favor and spread that shield out around the house. It makes Spinel's intelligence fuzzy."

I did as she said and wrapped the shield around the house. It was a bit more complicated of a stretch, but I handled it.

"Are you able to hold that there and sleep?" Peridot asked.

"Probably," I answered.

"Then go back to sleep," Peridot said. "You need it."

I lay down on my pillow with Turquoise in my arms and fell asleep. It wasn't until the next morning, another stormy day, that I woke up to the same red eyes watching me through the window.

"Seriously?" I whispered.

"Yep," a voice much too sweet answered me. "Still here."

I turned to see who was talking to me, but a scream escaped my mouth before I could say anything else. Sitting there was Spinel, grinning madly.

"Where's Peridot?!" I cried.

"Outside," Spinel answered. "Handling the rest of us."

I stretched my shield out so it was right in front of her. Just to my satisfaction, I saw her face contort.

"What do you want from me?" I asked, glaring.

"You know what we want," Spinel answered.

"Peridot will find you," I said.

"I don't think so," Spinel replied.

Right then, Turquoise woke up and began to cry.

"A baby?" Spinel asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes," I answered, picking my baby up and cradling her. "And she's hungry, so get out."

"I think I'll stay," Spinel responded.