Chapter 54: Overpowering

The world soon went white again and then faded back into color. I looked around at all of the wolves to see that they all shared the same distant expression. Peridot looked down at me, her eyes narrowed. I noticed that any damage I had taken from that fall didn't hurt as much anymore.

"...did you..." was the only thing Peridot could squeak out.

"Yeah," I answered. "That was Topaz."

Immediately, our gazes turned to the vampire, who was still standing in the middle of the field. Topaz seemed to have something red glowing around her fists. Something had changed. Absolutely.

"What happened?" I whispered.

"I can't tell," Peridot responded. "But I think we're about to find out."

Topaz turned back to us to reveal that her golden yellow irises were gone, leaving only the white of her eyes. I held onto Peridot, confused at the sight.

"What's the big idea?" I heard Fire Opal ask.

"Yeah!" Jade exclaimed. "You think you're gonna scare us or something?"

Topaz was suddenly at Peridot's side, glaring.

"That was fast," Peridot said, turning to Topaz.

"Well..." Topaz said quietly, her white-eyed expression somehow appearing innocent. "It's not every day that I feel this powerful."

She was moving quickly again, circling the other four vampires. Peridot seemed to be watching in awe.

"Wow!" She exclaimed. "Now that is the most powerful vampire power I've ever seen!"

"What is it?" I asked.

"She has the power to amplify her own powers," Peridot answered. "I would guess it's only temporary, though. She's as fast as me now!"

I followed Peridot's gaze to the best of my ability. Topaz was moving a bit too fast for me to follow as well as she was.

"Come on," Peridot said. "We need to get back up. We can't just sit here forever."

Immediately, everyone was on their feet going back towards the vampires. I closed my eyes, gave myself a few seconds' rest, and then I wrapped my shield around all of the wolves.

The chaos began quickly, and I saw all of the other vampires starting to become irritated with Topaz. Lily was running around with the wolves, clearly intrigued by Topaz's sudden new power.

"You alright?" Peridot asked, suddenly at my side again.

"I'm fine," I answered. "Just a little scratched up. It's nothing I can't handle."

Peridot gripped my hand in a grip that seemed to say that she was never going to let go. I let myself relax a little bit, but I kept my shield going strong. If I let it go, there would be even more chaos than there already was.

"How much longer?" I asked quietly as Peridot kissed my cheek.

"Can't tell," she answered. "Could be a while, or we could be going home in an hour."

I saw Topaz running around with a couple of the wolves, quite easily keeping up with them. The vampires following them couldn't keep up. Part of me wondered if Topaz was enjoying having vampires unable to keep up with her.

"Wanna go for a run?" Peridot asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Sure, why not," I answered. "I could probably use a little more action for myself."

With that, I was on her back being rushed about the battlefield. She carefully but quickly climbed a tree and held onto me as we sat down on a branch. I gasped at the view. I could see everything. Bismuth running around chasing Fire Opal, Royal Blue and Lily against Moonstone, even Agate and Pink against Jade.