Chapter twenty-six

I finish the cake and put it away in the fridge. Today is Roger's birthday. I've invited the boys and their wives over, along with Mary.

The living room is already decorated and I've bought Roger's favorite snacks and drinks.

I promised him I would spend the day with him, I didn't want to break that, so I'm heading to his apartment now.

He told me his mother would be visiting him today and he wants me to meet her. That made this surprise party easy because that means he won't be coming over here until it's time.

I drive to his apartment and knock on the door. Roger opens it and smiles widely. "Hello, my love," He says kissing my cheek.

"Happy birthday Roger," I smile. "My mother is inside. She's very excited to meet you," he whispers.

I smile and nod my head. He steps out of the way so I can walk in. On the couch sits an older lady. She is wearing jeans and a pink top.

"You must be Ellie. It's so nice to finally meet you, dear. Roger is always talking about you on the phone," she says standing up. I look over at Roger to see him giving his mom a look.

"It's nice to meet you too, Mrs. Taylor," I say shaking her hand. "Dear, my name is Winifred, but please, call me Wini," she tells me.

She sits back in the couch and I take a seat in the chair next to it. Roger sits next to his mother and hands her a cup of tea.

"Where's your manners Roger?" she says. He looks confused and she rolls her eyes. "Ask the lady if she wants some tea," she fusses.

"Oh," he stands up. "Would you like some tea Ellie," he says walking to the kitchen. He returns with a cup and a tea pot.

"Sure, thank you Roger," I smile as he pours me a cup.

"I'm so glad my Roger has found himself a girl to settle with. He always has had trouble with finding the one. It was like every week he'd have a new girl," she tells me.

"Mom," Roger says. "Let me finish Roger," she fusses.

"But let me tell you, dear, you've got Roger wrapped around your little finger. He's never talked about a girl the way he talks about you. And you're the first one I've met," she says making me smile.

"I just can't believe how fast my little Roger has grown," She pinches his cheeks and he goes beet red.

I giggle and he looks away from us. "So What do you do, dear?" She asks me.

"Well I'm actually the photographer for Queen," I explain. "That's lovely," She tells me.

"Is that how you two met?" I shake my head and say, "I actually met him before I got the job. I'm good friends with Mary Austin, Freddie's girl, and she brought me to the studio one day. That's when I met Roger the first time."

We all chat for an hour or two with Roger being embarrassed every now and then. After a while, Wini decides she needs to leave.

"Goodbye dear, I've had a wonderful time talking to you," she smiles. "I've enjoyed myself too, Wini," I say.

"Listen dear, you keep a close eye on my Roger. Keep in in line Okay?" She says making me giggle. "Don't worry mom, she always puts in in my place when needed," Roger says wrapping his arms around me from behind.

She chuckle a little and say bye one last time before making her exit.

"She's absolutely lovely Roger," I tell him after she's gone. "I know," he says with pride. I smile at his love for his mother.