Chapter forty-one.

April 26, 1976
London, England
Roger's pov

"Mary, are you okay?" I ask her. She is standing outside our apartment and her face is red as are her eyes.

"No, Roger. I'm honestly not," she says. That's unusual for Mary. Even though I don't know her all that well, she has always put up a sting front for others.

"Is Ellie here?" She asks before I can say anything. "Yeah, Yeah. She's just in the shower but I can tell her you are here," I say.

"Come in," I open the door wider and let her step past me. "Just, uh, wait in the living room," I tell her.

I run up the steps and into it room. Without knocking, I barge into the bathroom. Ellie jumped where she was standing in front of the mirror with nothing but a towel.

I gulp and clear my throat, trying not to look at her long, silky legs. "Mary is here. She seems in need of you too," I tell her, looking around everywhere but her.

"Ok, I'll be down in a second," she says. I nod my head and walk out, finally able to breathe.

She comes out a few minutes later and we both walk down the steps. "I'll make some tea," I offer. She nods her head and asks to give her and Mary some time.

**********
Ellie's pov
**********

"Mary," I call, sitting next to her on the couch. "It's over, Ellie. We ended it," she sobs. "I'm sorry," I whisper in shock.

I wrap my arms around her and she cries into my shoulder. I knew they were having a bit of trouble, but I just can't believe they ended it.

"Do you need a place to stay tonight?" I ask after letting her calm down a bit. "Do you mind if I stay here?" She says, wiping away her tears.

"You can stay as long as you want," I assure her, running a hand up and down her back. "Do you want to talk about it or have some tea and get your mind off it?" I question.

"Well I can't really explain it right now so let's just have some tea. I will need to talk to Freddie tomorrow, too," she sighs.

"Okay, let me go get it," I say. I pull away from her and walk to the kitchen where Roger is fumbling through the cabinets.

"Roger." He jumps and turns around. "Have you made the tea yet?" I ask. "Um, no. I couldn't find the kettle," he tells me, looking round in embarrassment.

"Roger, honey, it's in the same place I always keep it," I sigh. I reach past him and grab it out of the cabinet.

"Oh, sorry love," he apologizes. "It's okay. Can you make the tea? I'm going to return to Mary," I ask him. "Yeah, go on," He says.

He kisses my cheek and ushers me away.

"Sorry, Mary. Roger didn't know where the kettle was," I explain. "I keep it in the same place as always," I mumble.

"Don't worry," she laughs. I turn in the tv and sit next to her in the couch. "Let's watch some tv and later when can all go out and get something to eat," I say.

"That sounds good. Thank you," she agrees.

***

"Night, Mary!" I calm down the hall. "Goodnight," She says back. I let her sleep in Danny's room. I'm sure he'll make an exception for her.

I open the door quietly, not to interrupt Roger sleeping. I was surprised to see him standing by the window looking out.

I wrap my arms around him from behind and nuzzle my head in his back. "Why aren't you sleeping?" I ask.

"I didn't want to go to bed without you, love," he tells me, grabbing on to one of my hands that was around his chest.

"We never got a house," he says. "Guess you've just been busy," I shrug my shoulders. "Besides, I think it's best we wait."

He turns around and puts his arms around me, resting his head on top of mine.

"Wait for what, Ellie?" He ask me, running his hand up and down my back. "I don't know. I just feel like we should wait till we are married. I mean a house is a big step," I tell him.

"Okay, then you'll just have to wait a little longer," he says. My heart beats a little faster. He's always hinting at when I become his wife and that he will propose, but he's never said it was going to be soon!

"A little longer?" I repeat. "Mmhm. Just a little," he assures me. "I love you, Roger," I sigh.

"I love you more. Let's get to bed now." We climb in bed next to each other and get comfortable in each other's embrace.

"I'm worried about Freddie," I say. "Why is that, love?" He asks, twirling a piece of my hair in his fingers.

"Mary said she couldn't tell me why the broke up and I'm sure he's not handling this well either," I explain.

"Don't worry, Ellie. You can call him in the morning to check on him," he tells me. "Okay, I will."

"Goodnight, Love," he whispers, turning off the lamp on the nightstand. "Night, Roger."

•••
Sorry, I know this is short, but I'm writing a bonus chapter for the 5k!!

It won't be long either but it'll be up in a day or two. Thanks guys. Much love <3