Chapter Three~Mysterious Man

I woke up to pitch black. "Am I dead?" I whispered to myself. I pinched my arm as hard as I could. I clenched my teeth at the pain, "Nope, not dead," I said as I rubbed my arm. I held my hand up in front of my face. I could hardly see its outline. I was covered by what felt like a thick blanket, I don't remember having the pack on my back when I fell.

Wait. If it were mine it would probably be soaked. I pushed it off of me and peered at it closely. I could faintly see the floral pattern against the dark and the edges were badly frayed. The room I was in was really hot and humid. I could feel the sweat on my forehead, I swiped away the sweat, my forehead was so warm. Maybe it was just me who was hot.

I tried to get up, but my head spun. I placed a hand over my hot forehead and groaned. If this is what hell felt like, count me out. I laid on the hard ground for a little while trying to figure out what happened. The board, the water, and Sengen. Sengen!

That little-- where is he at? Boy, when I see him, do I have something to say. I got up slowly so that I was kneeling on the ground. It was rough and felt rocky. Was I still in the cave?

I pushed myself to my feet and looked around the dark space. My eyes adjusted, but it was still really dark. I sniffed the air; it was moist and smelled like rain and moss. I listened closely; I could hear running water. Then I heard what sounded like breathing. My heart beat faster. Was someone in here with me?

"So, you're finally awake," said a male voice. I gasped and jumped; I didn't get five feet off the ground before my head hit the top of the cave. I could feel the warm trickle of blood running through my hair. I mentally slapped myself. Great going. Let the cave cannibal smell your blood, so he will be more intrigued.

"Woah, watch it," I heard feet coming near me, I panicked. "Is your head okay? It looked like you hit it pretty hard. Does it hurt?" A hand came out of the darkness and touched me. He's going to eat me!

I swatted at it, "Get your human eating hands away from me!" I started to back away. Bad idea. I tripped over something and fell on my rear end. My head was pounding, I covered my forehead with my hand with another groan. Willing it to go away. "Just eat me now. Get this over with."

"Eat you? Who said I was going to eat you?"

When It began to be bearable again, I opened my eyes. My vision was blurred. I couldn't quite see who touched me until my vision became clear. It was a man with the darkest black hair and unusual icy blue eyes. He didn't quite look like a cannibal, but looks can be deceiving. I squinted at him. He held his hands up defensively. "It's okay, I'm going to help you. Oh, your head is bleeding. Here." He walked towards the lantern. He came back with the light and a piece of cloth. "It's alright, I'm just going to clean the blood." He slowly came closer to me.

"No! No way, I will not let you touch me."

"You can do it yourself then. I'm not going to argue with a woman who thinks I'm a cannibal." He laughed nervously.

I snactched the rag from him and dabbed at the blood. I sighed and looked back at the man. He was watching me. "What?" I snapped at him.

"What is your name?"

"Why should I tell you?" He shrugged. "Ugh, fine. It's Annie." I turned away and crossed my arms. Silence rang through the cave. "What's yours?"

"Hmm?"

"Your name. What is it?"

"Reth. It's Reth."

"Ok."

Silence.

Then I remembered Sengen. "Where is Sengen?" The man looked confused, "Sengen, my parrot. I lost him when I fell into the water," Turning back around to face him.