Chapter Forty-Three~Be Prepared

A scream escaped my throat as I hurtled over the side of the palace. Damion bolted towards me. He reached out for me, his hand grabbed a hold of the practice suit. He grabbed for my hands and I grabbed for his. I stared into fear filled eyes. "Don't let me fall."

"I can't promise anything." he let out a pained laugh. Our hands began to slip. He began to pull me up, but our hands were separating too fast. "Give me your other hand Annabelle, quickly!"

I swung my arm up to his, but the movement was too much. My hand slipped from his and I began to fall. "Annie!" Damion reached out for me on the rooftop.

Everything moved in slow motion. Was I making it take longer? I attempted to stop my fall, but it wasn't working. Why now?! I had enough energy didn't I? I watched Damion as he hit his hands on the black concrete. Pain flashed across his face and he bent over in agony. His back bulged and throbbed.

He uttered no sound until black wings burst through his skin and practice suit. A scream finally erupted from his throat. He jumped over the edge and came for me. His wings folded into his body which only made him move faster. He held his arms towards me and I held mine towards him.

Until his arms circled mine, was I aware of how close to the ground I was. I buried my face into his chest and cried as the realization of how close to death I just was set in. He held me tightly and I didn't argue.

We said nothing as Damion flew gently to the ground. His feet lightly touched the sand. He didn't move as I held on to him. His wings went back into his back. Going back in wasn't as bad as coming out I guess. As my sobbing slowed down, I loosened my hold on his arms. When I released my hold, I found out just how hard I held onto his arms. Bruises were already forming and the places where my nails dug in, bleed slightly. I gasped and pushed away from him. I started walking towards the palace doors.

"Are you sure you want to walk in there like that?" I stopped dead in my tracks. I must look like a mess. I didn't give him the satisfaction of knowing that I agreed. He walked up behind me and picked me up.

"What are you doing?"

"Taking my wife into her home."

"I am not yet your wife."

"The wedding is moved up to tomorrow."

Frustration, fear, and anger all flashed through me at once. I gritted my teeth to keep from

yelling. After all, I still needed to gain his trust, and it seems like I'm doing well. "I'm looking forward to it."

Damion opened the doors to the palace and went up the stairs. Servants watched with accusing eyes. He made his way to my room and set me on my feet once we were there. He grabbed my chin and made me look up at him. "Be ready for tomorrow. I will send a maid to tailor you a wedding dress. You can have it designed however you like."

His eyes held passion and love, but I didn't trust him still and never will. I forced a smile to my lips, "Thank you." He hesitantly leaned down towards me. "What are you--"

He placed a finger over my lips to cut me off, " I will treat you well. You can ask me anything; for anything. You know that right."

"I- yes I know."

"Good."

His lips touched mine. His kisses were nothing like Reths. His were rough and demanding, whereas Reths were soft and inviting. He pushed me up against the wall and ran a hand down my back. I tried so desperately not to be disgusted. Instead I pushed him away softly, "Not yet."

He looked down at me with fire in his eyes. "As you wish."

He walked away leaving me to isolation and a room filled with previous horrors. I looked around, noting that the window was nailed down. I sighed and fell to the bed. Haley strode into the room, "God. You look like hell." I grunted and looked at the ceiling and remembered the panel in the wall. I looked over to it. Debating whether I should go through it or not.

I continued to stare at it for a few more minutes before I made a decision. I pushed myself off of the bed and touched the panel lightly. It moved away and I walked through it. Haley padded up behind me. She leaned down and looked into the passageway. "Cool!" Can I go with?

"Will you reveal yourself to everyone or will you just pick up items and scare them all?"

"Do I have too?"

"If we want this to work, you may as well do it."

"Ugh fine. I was beginning to enjoy picking things up in front of them and watching them run." I glared at her and pulled her through the hall with me.

When I got the other side I was greeted by stares. I must look terrible for them to look at me like this. Disbelief and accusation filled their eyes. Haley picked up a rose and scared a nearby maid. "Haley!" I scolded.

She looked at me and crossed her arms over her chest. "Fine!" She whined like a teenager told to do something. She threw her arm up and tossed glowing blue petals across the room. The maids gasped and some looked scared. The little girl Juliet picked up a blue petal and looked at it with fascination. She turned back to me, "happy now?"

"Yes, thank you, Haley."

"'Yes, Thank you, Haley'," She said, mocked me. Yea, yea. No problem now let's get to this. I want to watch you fight."

I shook my head as I walked past them to the training stage. As I did the servants stood from their places on the ground and walked to the door to the training room. Grace stood by the door and watched me intensely. "You look like hell."

"I feel like hell."

"Did you bring an outfit with you, or just the fairy?"

"Just the fairy, I don't need a suit."

"Whatever you say, my queen."

"You heard?"

"It has spread across the entire castle. Of course I've heard. Now news of this fairy will be everywhere too. This explains the disappearing items and floating loaves of bread."

"She loves to eat." saying that reminded me of what Reth said about how Haley was a bottomless pit. "I hope Reth gets here soon."

"We all do."