Chapter Twenty-Four~ A Prison Fit For a Queen

The gates of my prison loomed before me. The rain making it much more ominous. The Summer Palace of Veriana. It looked the same as it was when I first saw it years ago. The hedges were cut into the shapes of dragons, horses, and men with swords. The cracks in the cobblestone path were recently filled. Pecos hooves clicked on them as they made contact.

The gates where oiled monthly and didn't squeak as they were opened for the oncoming King. Raymond still held me to him. The pain in my side was beginning to be unbearable. I could feel the blood seeping through my fingers and down the side of Pecos as the rain mixed with it. I ripped a piece of cloth from my tunic; balled it up and held it to the wound. Pain ripped through my body; I would not scream.

I winched instead; Raymond noticed. He ripped my hand away from the wound. His eyes were filled with fury as he prodded it. I cried out in response. "When did this happen!" he roared.

"One of your men shot me," I spat at him. His eyes soften just a bit. My vision was fading in and out. He must've seen my eyes glaze over because he kicked Pecos into a full run through the palace gates. Rain pelted down on us faster as we picked up speed. I was beginning to feel cold, and I slumped against him for warmth. He placed his hand against my collarbone. Heat spilled into me from where his bare skin touched mine. I could feel Raymonds heart beating fast in his chest.

Once we were through the gates a palace guard was at the side of Raymond's horse. "Get a Healer to my room now," he growled to the guard. The guard nodded and ran through the doors of the palace.

More guards came to his side, "Sire, why did you bring that disgrace here," one of the guards scowled up at me. I gave him an equally terrifying glare. I smirked when I thought he looked intimidated.

"She is not a disgrace," he roared. His guards coward from him. Raymonds hands never left me while he jumped off of his horse. My vision started to falter, and I leaned into Pecos. He whimpered softly in response.

Raymond pulled me off of his horse and into his arms. Black started to dot the corners of my vision. I needed to stop the bleeding otherwise I wasn't going to live through the day. My eyes started to slowly close, I tried to stop them. "No. No, no, no. Don't you dare close your eyes on me, Annabelle," I heard Raymond say. He ran faster; jostling me around more. I fluttered my eyes open slightly. "Stay with me," he breathed. I laughed at his concern; It was weak, barely escaping my lips.

I felt Raymond hold me tighter to his chest as he sprinted towards his room. I tried to open my eyes, but they continued to close. I was losing too much blood and I was exhausted. Raymonds heart hammered in his chest. I was a rag doll in his arms. My limbs were limp; blood trailed down my arm and dripped off of my fingers onto intricate designed stones. I could only imagine what the maids will do when they see my blood trail.

I heard muffled voices and knew we were close to Raymond's room, he practically kicked the door down, "Samantha." Raymonds voice was hoarse.

"Master?" Asked a woman who I suspected to be Samantha. I opened my eyes enough to squint at her. She has a lovely red hair and emerald eyes like my own. She kind of reminded me of the female pirate a long time ago. How I remembered her, I didn't know.

"She's been shot," Raymond laid me down on his bed. My blood soaked through the white velvet sheets, "I don't have enough energy to heal her. Please tell me you can save her."

Samantha rushed towards the bed. She pulled my tonic away from the wound. She gently pushed on the outside of it. I cried out in protest. I pushed her away weakly. She grabbed my hand and held it looking down at me. Her eyes held panic and pity.

Sleep dawned on me, but I wouldn't dare close my eyes. Maybe this sleep could be good for me. I wouldn't have to deal with this life. "The bullet is still inside of her. I'm going to have to get it out before I can heal her. We don't need a bullet stuck inside of her and causing an infection."