Chapter One~ Where the Journey Begins

I leaned towards my brother Kal, "Are we going home?"

I thought Dad couldn't hear me, yet he always seemed to, no matter how quiet I was. "Don't ask questions that you know the answer to Anne," he said, clearly annoyed. I thought it was a good question. We haven't been home in two weeks because Mom was sick. We were sitting in the waiting room at the medical center. I sighed with boredom. The white walls and dull earth colored chairs couldn't hold anyone's attention. My eyes flickered to the TV which held the news, however it was muted. Some old lady across from us had the remote in her wrinkly hands. There was nothing of interest in there anyway.

I looked over at the desk assistant, Dad glared daggers at him. He didn't seem to mind, like he endured such things on a daily basis, and continued to tap away on his keyboard.

He looked to be in his early twenties. A small blush crawled up my cheeks, he is really cute. Is this what love at first sight feels like?

I was building the courage to go talk to him when Mom walked through the doors. "I am sick of this place! Let's go already," she growled. I glanced back at the desk assistant while walking towards the door. He noticed me looking and winked. I squeaked and rushed out of the hospital doors without a look behind me.

We piled into Mom's navy blue Honda Civic. I was squished in between Jared and Kal. Jared gave me a small smile and pushed his glasses up his nose with his middle finger. I smirked at it and stuck my tongue out at him. I heard a snort next to me. I turned my head and looked at Kal. He had a huge grin on his face. Mom took the passenger seat, while dad slid into the driver's seat.

"Annie, don't bother your brothers, it's not lady like." Mom hissed at me.

Jared sighed next to me, "Mom I started it, no need to scold her." He earned himself a hot glare from her.

Kal put me in a headlock, and rubbed his fist into my mousy brown hair, "Yea! After all she is an adult."

I laughed and pushed him away, "I've been an adult for a year now, I am nineteen you know. And you are only a year older than me. Stop acting so wise"

He snorted, "whatever you say sis." He laid his head back on the seat and closed his eyes. I decided to leave him alone for now and looked out the window at the trees soaring by us. I missed sitting in my window seat watching the leaves sway and listening to the birds sing. We've been away from home for too long. I wanted to sit there and hold my worn pencil and sketchbook in my hands. I sighed and thought about my cozy bedroom at home and what I would I draw next.

As I stared out the window watching the trees go by, I noticed something hidden behind the trees. A gapping dark hole lurked in the forest. My brows furrowed, I haven't seen that before, or maybe I just haven't paid enough attention. I turned my head to watch it and see if I could get another angle on it as the car moved away further away.

Jared elbowed me in the ribs and broke me out of my trance. "Ow! What?"

He nodded his head towards the front of the car. I looked over at him to see Mom staring at me with a disappointed look. Dad was sending cautious looks her way. "Huh?"

"I was talking to you. Did you even hear me?"

"No. I'm sorry I was thinking."

"Must've been a good thought," she snapped.

"It was."

"Anyway, I asked if you wanted to go to tea with the girls and I."

"Girls?"

"The Robins' sisters." I fought against a gag. The Robins' girls. My apparent cousins. Who love to push me around and talk about me behind my back. Spreading rumors that I was in love with someone who would never have a chance with me. I mean Greg was hot, but he's not boyfriend material.