Chapter Forty-Eight~ The End of a Deadly Reign

It ended quickly. Damion slumped forward and toppled to the floor. I dropped the converting weapon like it was on fire. It clattered to the floor and changed back into a dagger. Reth stood up painfully slow. He watched me as I watch him. He stopped moving when he got to his knees. He bent his head and proudly said the words, "Long live the Queen."

Samantha, the crew, and Aaron and Dad made it to the palace. The crew noticed Reth on his knees. They all dropped to their knees, "Long live the Queen." They said in unison. When they stood up, they were all panting except for Samantha. Dad stayed on his knees and caught his breath. Aaron leaned against a part a wall that was somehow still standing.

Samantha did not stand still when she got off of her knees. She bolted towards me and took me in her arms. "I'm sorry I took so long! Are you okay?" Samantha held me away from her and examined the cuts on my body.

"I'm fine Samantha." I looked over at the guys. Most of them had fallen to the floor and were gasping for air. "Come on guys. Are you really going to let a girl show you up?"

Haley laughed like a maniac at that, "You guys are wimps."

Sebastian held his hands up in defeat and resumed leaning on his knees. Will laughed, "When have we never not been shown up by a woman?"

Sebastian, who finally gained his breath,has to get into the conversation,"Ever since you showed up our lives have been hell!" His laughed boomed. I laughed with him.

Samantha looked at him longingly, but turned away quickly when he noticed her gaze. She turned towards me to hide a blush. Instead of looking at me she looked next to me. I turned my head to where she was looking to find Reth at my side. I didn't wait to see if he was okay before I hugged him tightly. He yelped when my arms touched his ribs, but scooped me into another hug when I backed away. His whisper sent a satisfying shiver up my spine."I've missed you."

"We did talk last night."

"That meant nothing. I couldn't hold you forever there." A blush formed on my cheeks, matching Samantha's.

"You joke too much for your own good."

"It wasn't a joke."

The blush grew hotter. Reth laughed lightly and kissed the top of my head. When we broke apart, I noticed Aaron watching us. He looked defeated and almost sad. He gave me a small smile and turned away. He slumped against the wall and slid down to the floor, he held his head in his hands. Dad followed him and took a seat next to him. He looked like he wanted to hug him.

"Annie!" I looked towards the voice. Sengen flew towards me at full speed. He smacked into my chest and I toppled to the ground. "Oh Annie. I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, Sengen."

"Don't you dare leave me ever again! I don't think my little heart can take it."

I held him between my hands on his back. He stared up at me with a sad look. I laughed and stood back up. Haley scooped him into her arms, "Hey there little bubby! How's your wing?"

"As good as new. Thank you again Haley." She smiled and continued to talk to him.

A hand grabbed my other arm forcefully. I cried out. Grace's wrinkled fingers held my arm in place tightly. She poked and prodded the wrapped wound. "Hey cut it out! That hurts!" I tugged my arm from her grip and held it to my chest.

"Do you want me to look at it or not?"

"Not really."

"Well you have no choice." I sighed and held my arm out to her. I was defeated by one look. She took it less harshly this time. "It's not that bad. You'll heal. If you don't do anything rash."

"Well I don't need to let it heal. I have Samantha back." Samantha smiled and took my arm in her hands. Warmth spread through it instantly. I was still a weird feeling; the feeling of the muscles stitching back together, unnerved me. Haley rushed over and watched. Once Samantha was done Haley took my arm into her hands, "Wow, you are so strong Samantha! I wish I could heal like you."

Grace placed her hands on her hips . She looked at me like she wanted to slap me. I backed away from her slowly with my hands up.

Reth put his hands on my shoulders to stop me as I backed into his chest. Sengen flew off. He immediately went to Sebastian's unoccupied shoulder. It was not as shocking as a sight as it would have been a few years ago. "Don't worry. I'll be the one who does the rash things from now on. Thank you for keeping her safe and helping her."

I laughed, "I wouldn't say she kept me safe. You should've seen her the first training day. She tried to kill me immediately."

Everyone laughed except for Grace. "Well, what can I say. You look very easy to kill." A smile lifted the sides of her lips gingerly. A genuine smile.

"Ah ha! You admit it!"

Everyone laughed at us this time, but died quickly when we remembered our current situation. My adrenaline finally died down and the amount of blood I had lost hit me. I slumped against Reth, and he supported me without a single thought. I looked over at Damions body. His dark, red blood had spilled around his body in an almost perfect circle. His blood spread into the grooves of the tiles. Following the perfect lines between them.

Reth made a sound of disgust in his throat and turned us away from the view. He began to walk towards the door that leads into the main room of the palace. I looked up to him questioningly. He did not look down towards me. Instead he looked at the few members of the crew who had not passed out yet, " Would you guys get this place cleaned up?"

Greg put a hand up to his forehead in a mock soulte, "Yes sir!" He looked different than the last time I had seen him. He had bulked up and almost seemed a bit taller.

Reth smiled a small, sad smile. "Thank you all." Then he walked away. He pulled me along with him. I looked back at the crew. They stared after us with pained looks.