Chapter Nine~ A Secret

What?" I asked them as Reth lead me to a chair. He pushed on my shoulders to make me sit down. I looked at him right in the eyes. Noting the seriousness in them; I sat down.

Reth paced back and forth. I looked at Sebastian for an explanation, but he just shrugged. Giving up on him, I looked back at Reth. He had stopped at the window and was looking out at the sea. The sun was hitting it perfectly, glinting off the water, causing it to look like a sea of diamonds.

He turned and his eyes caught mine. We watched each other. A blue fire was burning bright in his eyes. It was passion and love, "Annie, what you saw back there was never supposed to happen. Never."

"I thought he was gone. If he can control you it must mean he hasn't fallen off the face of the Earth," Sebastian said standing up.

"He has found a new form," Reth replied. "How does he know Annie?"

"I don't know," Sebastian thought out loud, "Maybe he has been looking through your eyes without you knowing."

I stood up and glared at both of them, I don't like when people talk about me when I'm right here, "Can you guys just tell me already. Let's get to the point."

"I- I don't know how to tell you," Reth replied to me.

"You were the one who wanted to tell me everything. I'll understand no matter how you say it."

"I can wait all day," I said crossing my arms. I know I was being a bitch, but this involved me and it sounded dangerous. I needed to know.

"Okay, I'll tell you. But I don't know exactly how to explain this, especially since you were just introduced to the world of magic." there silence for a few seconds. " And you need to know in case this ever happens again." With that Reth plunged into a story about his childhood; "When I was a younger I met this man on the docks. He looked to be in his early twenties. He told me I was meant for something more. Something great. Something that only he could give me. I was young and ambitious, so I asked him if he would tell me, but he told me he would only tell me the secret if I gave him something in return. 'Grant me the power of your body; allow me to see through your eyes, feel your pain, and use your body like my own and I will give you the secret of greatness.' So I did. I gave him consent. I didn't believe he could. Once I gave him permission he told me the secret. 'The secret wasn't a secret at all, It was me I am greatness, I jusy needes the power to control you.' He used my body like his own. He would push me to the unknown regions of my brain and make me watch as he wreaked havoc throughout the port. He used me as his slave until he got bored of me, and now it seems he has gotten bored of his new subjugate and is coming for me again, or worse he is coming for you."

I stared at Reth in shock. He was describing magic and "so magic really is real, I'm not going crazy. This isn't. Dream?"

"Magic is real, and you are not crazy."

"B-but how? Why am I seeing this world now?"

"I don't know. All I know is that I need to keep you safe," he said. Then I remembered something I had heard my father talking about 'I need to be sure he hasn't taken her myself.' Was he talking about this man who controls Reth? No, it's not possible. Maybe I should ask Reth about it, but not now. Not when Sebastian was here.

He turned his head to look at me. I stood up and walked towards him."I understand," I whispered and kissed him. Reth was surprised. He smiled against my lips. He wrapped me in a hug and I rested my head on his chest,"Well since we are here, we might as well enjoy our time."

...

Reth took us to the dining hall. After all of that talk, I was kind of hungry. I looked over at Reth and inched towards him. I slipped my hand in his. He smiled and squeezed it lightly. Duke came up behind me and nuzzled his nose into my other hand. I patted him on the head and continued to move with Reth, Duke hot on my heels. Sebastian was ahead of us. He walked with a fast pace to make it to the doors before us.

Voices were muffled in the other side of the door, many voice. Sebastian opened the door with a smile and the voices became overwhelmingly loud. The dining hall was filled with the crew, there were a lot of them, way more than I thought.

As soon as Sebastian walked in, everyone stopped and looked at us. Eyeing us up like we were fresh meat. We came up to the door ourselves. We walked through. Hands still entwined. The crew burst into cheers and laughter. Some came up to give Reth a hug or a hand shake, "Atta boy Reth!"

"I knew you'd find a girl."

"Took you long enough Reth!."

"Glad you're back!"

After meeting almost everyone, so many names and faces and I won't remember any of them. Reth guided me to the kitchen. Reth handed me a plate and grabbed one for himself. The chief turned towards us, "Whatcha eatin'?" he asked.

Reth looked at me and I shrugged. "We'll have the pork chops," Reth said. I was surprised they even had those. They were a rarity, even at home. When the pork chops were done. Reth pulled me towards the chief again, and I handed him my plate. He gladly took it and carefully placed the meat on it. He also placed mashed potatoes on one side and what looked like peas on the other. My mouth watered, they looked so good. He gave us simple utensils to use; A knife and something that looked like a fork and a spoon. Reth calls it a spork.

I chowed down. Soon I was so full I thought I would explode right here. I only had one porkchop left. I gave my plate to the highest bidder. "Do you want this," I asked Reth.

"I'm stuffed, ask Sebastian," he replied.

So I turned towards Sebastian and asked, "Do you want this?"

"Nah. I'm filled to the brim." He pointed towards a man who sat at the end of the table, "see if Cam wants it."

"I don't feel like walking over there with all of these guys in here," I said back. I set the plate in front of me. I looked down at its uneaten contents. It's been a while since I've actually ate a full meal.

"Hey Cam! You want this pork chop," Sebastian yelled across the room. Everyone went quiet.

"Huh?" Cam looked up with a mouth full.

"Do you want this pork chop, Annie can't finish it!" He yelled back again.

"hell yea," Cam yelled back to Sebastian. Cam got up out of his chair so fast he almost knocked it over and barreled towards us. He towered over me. Probably almost six and a half feet tall. "Can't finish your dinner pretty lady," he asked me.

"I cannot. It is too much," I said back with a blush and a smiling.

"Well let me help you with that," he said leaning over me and stabbing the pork chop with his spork. I looked up at him just before he shoved the whole thing in his mouth. I couldn't help but laugh.

After everyone was done eating Reth and I went out to the dock. We sat at the bow of the ship and looked out at the sea. The moon was full. Its light shone onto the sea. If you look close enough you could see the creatures swimming just beneath the water, For a second I thought I saw a woman with a tail. I shook my head and looked at the horizon. "Did you enjoy your dinner," Reth asked me.

I looked away from the sea and at him. "I did."

"Did you have fun today?" I remembered what Cam did and giggled a little. I covered my face with my hands and tried to squander the laugh that was bubbling up to the surface. "What's wrong?" Reth asked me. I couldn't hold it for too long and it came out.

I laughed so hard my eyes started to water, "I can't believe I am enjoying being here," I said, "First I witnessed some random pirates beat you into a pulp. Then I was kidnapped and almost died. I even met a different you. I have been terrified for the last week. Yet I still enjoyed being here today."

"You never truly know what happens next," Reth said to me.

"Yeah, I guess so," I smiled at him
He was looking down at me with a smile.

He placed his hand on my cheek and leaned closer to me, "I love you Annie. No matter what. Even if you never say it back."

His soft lips touched mine. He pulled me closer and wrapped his arms around me. I laid my head on his shoulder. We stayed like that until I was close to falling asleep. Reth noticed me struggling to keep my eyes open. He put his arms around me and lifted me up. He walked for a bit then I felt him lower me on a bed, and cover me with a blanket. He sat on the edge of it and watched me. I feel asleep feeling safe and loved.