Chapter Nineteen~ We Made It

As we ran by I saw the little girl, Angie. She jumped up and down and waved at us. Her mother saw what she was doing and looked back at us. She watched us running hand in hand and smiled knowingly. I waved to the little girl.

Will's ship came into view next. I sighed a sigh of relief and slowed my pace a little. Reth noticed my decrease in pace and tugged on my arm. "We can't stop now. We aren't out just yet." I sped back up and stared at our destination. Reth tugged me along the rest of the way. "Will," Reth yelled up at the side of the ship. A figure came up to the side. "Will, we have a problem!"

"Reth! Where have you two been," he yelled down at us.

"I'll tell you when we are sailing. Get the bridge down and bring up the anchor," he yelled back up at him.

"At the same time?" Reth sent a little glare his way. Will smiled and yelled some orders to his crew. We waited for the bridge to settle on the dock.

Reth pushed me up. My legs felt like jelly. We got to the deck. I wasted no time and plopped down onto a barrel. Sengen laid on the deck with his wings sprawled out, heaving in air. The bridge was up and we were starting to move a bit. "We made it," I breathed, almost in disbelief.

Reth got on his knees and took my hands in his. " Yes. Yes we did. It was all because of you," his hands snaked around my waist. I gasped as he lifted me off my barrel and twirled me around. "We did it!"

I laughed and leaned down and leaned my forehead on his. "And because of you, too."

"Now, would you two like to tell me what happened that we were stuck at port for half a week?" I looked over my shoulder. Will had his arms crossed and tapped his foot on the deck.

"Long story," I said

"Well, shorten it up!" Will threw his arms up.

"Okay, okay! Dang." I said. I explained what had happened to us during the ball. I left out what had happened with Raymond. I told him about how Savanna and I came up with a plan to get Reth out if the dungeon and out of the palace. "And here we are now." It took less than a minute to tell. Half a week summed up into a minute.

"You guys had a hell of a week," Will said standing up from his spot on the deck.

"I'd say," Reth said sarcastically. He stood up and stretched. He took my arm in his. He lead me to the bow of the boat and sat down again. We stared at the water in silence. We haven't moved a foot from the dock. The sails weren't down. I looked over at Reth. He looked terrible, "We should really get you cleaned up. You look like hell chewed on you and spit you back out."

"I feel exactly like that."

"Stop in the name of the King," a voice full of power boomed. I jumped from my spot on the bench. I looked down in disbelief as a group of at least ten guards rode up to the docks on horses. Boy, was I glad Reth made me keep going while we were running.

Will looked over at us. Reth stared at him. "And why would we stop for him," Will asked looking over the side of the boat at them .

"We were sent to stop you," said the guard.

"Hmm," Will tapped the top of his head, "and why were you sent to stop us,"

"That man," The guard pointed at Reth, "is charged with piracy."

Will laughed, "Why would we care! We are pirates!"

"We also came for the countess's daughter," he said. He pointed at me. Will choked on his laugh.He looked at me dumbfounded. I gazed back at him reassuringly.

"Do you think I would hand over one of my best crew members just because the King said so," Will asked menacingly.

"Sir, we would rather have the girl," said one of the guards.

Will laughed. He wiped at the tears with his sleeve, "The girl is one of my best crew members!"

The guards seemed to be startled. They all looked to me then back to Will. I was even more startled. Me? one of the best crew members? Ha! Yea right. I felt Reth's hand inch closer to mine. I grabbed it without hesitation.

"Sir, we don't want trouble," another cut in.

"Don't want trouble? You are heading right into trouble if you think you are just going to waltz up here and take people off my ship," Will said reaching for a dagger on his waist.

"Don't," said the captain of the guard. He reached for his gun. Will continued to unsheath his dagger. The guard pulled his gun out of its holster and pointed it at Will. "I said stop."

"Duck when I say so," Will whispered so us and his crew could hear.

"Don't move or I'll shoot," said the guard with a shaky voice.

"Now!" Will yelled and threw his dagger at the rope holding the sails up. They dropped gracefully down.

I dropped to the deck with Reth. I watched as everyone including Will hit the deck. The Guards unleashed their bullets onto the ship. Bullets whizzed past above my head. I heard Will laughing like mad man. Bullet after bullet flew above us for a few more minutes. Once they were done Will jumped up and called orders to his crew, "Get those sails faced in the right direction!"

I poked my head up to see over the side of the ship. The guards stood in shock. I laughed,

"Tell your King that I'll come back one day for his head." I yelled down at them. The captain glared at me. I laughed again and crawled over to Reth.

"First time I've ever heard you say something like that," he said pulling me towards him.

"I've never heard myself say something like that," I said. He laughed and stood up pulling me up with him. We were moving away from the dock now. The guards were getting smaller and smaller.

"That King really wants you guys," Will said while steering the ship.

"He does," I said. "Reth I need to talk to you," I said pulling on his arm. Will gave me a sideways glance, "In private."

Reth gave me a puzzled look, but followed. I led him to my room. Once inside I walked over to the window and stared out at the dock. "What do you want to talk about," Reth asked walking up alongside me.

"It's about the King," I paused. "After you were taken," I said. I leaned on my hands on the window ledge. I waited for an answer, but there was none. " He ... he did some things to me." I stuttered. Reth placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Did he hurt you? He didn't did he?"

"Not exactly," I replied. "He tried to," I paused, " tried to." I couldn't say it. I looked down at the floor.

"Annie," he wrapped me into a big hug. "You didn't let him that's all that matters."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. I love you no matter what," he hugged me tighter. I welcomed the hug. I pushed my face into his neck. He rested his chin on my head. "Now let's get back up on deck. Will probably thinks we are doing the dirty."

"Sounds like him."