Chapter Twenty-Eight~ Power

I looked to the door with disbelief. Did she really not lock the door? Could I escape? It was a risky chance. I didn't yet know this new palace. They were all built the same, but they were all a little different on the inside..

I stood up cautiously, and made my way to the door. I pressed my ear against it. Listening for any sound. There was none. I twisted the knob and pulled the door in.

Popping my head outside, I scanned the hall. Yet again nothing. I softly walked out of the door way. Making no sound at all. This is too easy, way too easy. I tiptoed to the spiraling stairs.

The memory of sliding down the banister with Savanna haunted my thoughts. I shook it away quickly. Savanna was far far away. Sold to the richest eligible bachelor, Prince Ronan. No one was left in that family anymore; other than Raymond. I guess he doesn't count either, he turned into Damion.

I made my way down them quietly. Careful not to cause them to creak.

The doors to the place were unguarded. "What is going on here," I asked myself quietly. I made sure no one was around and made a break for the doors. Just then a figure emerged from the shadows. Blocking my path. I smacked into a muscular chest. Fearing who it might be, I looked up slowly.

Damion looked down at me with disappointment. "I thought you would have been smart enough to stay in your room," he picked me up and slung me over his shoulder like a sack of flour. "I guess I'll have to lock your door."

"Put me down!" I pounded on his back, "I mean it!"

He laughed, "What are you going to do? Freeze me?"

"That's a good idea."

"Ah, but wait. Think this thoroughly. If you do freeze me, you will forever be stuck in my arms. What will you do then?" I grunted. He was right, but I wasn;t going to let him know that.

"Are you questioning my powers?"

"Yes."

"How dare you. You don't even know me!"
"I know you more than you may think. And you don't even know your own powers." He set me back on my feet. Never letting his hands leave my arms, "Now, would you like if it taught you how to use your powers?" I crossed my arms and turned my head. He laughed and made me look at him by cupping my face. "I will let you move about freely." he taunted. I must have looked lost in thought because he sighed and interrupted me, "whether you want to or not, I'm going to teach you anyway."

I scoffed and made my way back up the stairs. Damion's gaze felt like daggers on my back. I struggled to maintain my speed as I walked up. When I rounded the corner I ran for my room. I slammed the door loudly. I leaned against the door in the safety of the darkness of my room. The velvet sheets of the bed called to me. I followed the phantom call and fell into those welcomeing sheets. This time I held my eyes closed tightly, until sleep dawned on me. Taking me into the world of dreams that were filled with blue and green eyes alike.

Light shined through the translucent curtains. Birds taunted me with their songs. Their free shadows turning the curtains black, but only for a few seconds. As I stared, I tried not to think about my failed attempt at escape. Instead I thought about the last few years. How did I not notice the extreme changes in my life, and when I did, why didn't I question it? Oh right, I called myself crazy.

Events that have been engraved in my mind flashed before my eyes. Almost all of them including Reth. His soothing touch, the way he was with words, the safety I felt when I was with him, and his eyes. Oh his beautiful blue eyes that pulled me into a world of love struck bliss.

My mind remembered the time his beautiful eyes changed to green and his fingers dug into my arms forcefully.I shook the memory away. I didn't want to remember that.

All of a sudden all of the hints that I should've noticed came rushing in: The feeling of being pulled towards the desk assistant that Damion revealed was him. The willow tree that survived being engulfed in flames. The woman with a tail in the water, which I can only assume was a mermaid. The griffin attack in the cave. Haley, who I hoped was helping Reth, but how could she. Only I could only see her, right? All of these were sure signs of magic--signs that I would not let myself believe. Trying to make light of those situations by covering them with craziness, because that was the only explanation.

This magic could get me out of here, but I know nothing about it. I sat up. Letting my mind work out the plan. Could I get out of here with this newfound power if I could master it?

There's only one way to find out.

I'll let Damion show me how to handle it. Then I'll make a break for it. It had to work. It has to. Reth is waiting.