Chapter Fifty~ A Proposal

It was true that everyone was waiting for me, but they were waiting for Reth as well. They were all anxious to see my state after Reth's news. They seemed to all relax when they saw I was fine and was even smiling a little.

Samantha held her hand out to me and I took it. Someone had picked up the crown from earlier. My crown. The dark metal glinted with the light from the room. The diamonds took on the color of the sky from here. I would have to get it changed, it was too dark. They had placed it on the throne in the middle of the room. "Everyone is waiting for you to assume your position." Samantha held my hand tightly.

I shook my head slightly. "I couldn't rule a realm. There's no way. I am not a leader."

"You are more of a leader than you think you are, my dear."

"I can't." Panic rose in my chest and I attempted to pull away from her.

"You can." She put her other hand over our hands. "How do you think you got all of them under you?" she turned me to look at all of the servants that were scattered around the room. They smiled at me as I looked at them. They were in groups talking with one another. Smiles brightened their faces. "They love you, Dear. You did that all by yourself. Without my help, nonetheless!" She clapped a hand over her heart. "They grow up so fast."

"Okay I get it Samantha." Her smile took up half of her face now and her expression was pleading. I gave in, "Fine. I will be the queen." She jumped up and down, "But! I will only do it if you help me. You are more of a leader than I am."
"You can count on me!" She led me up the stairs to the throne.

Haley sat on the arm of my throne. Samantha sent her a disapproving look which got her a mischievous smile, "Don't worry, ol' girl, I'm not taking the throne." She hopped off of the arm and pulled me into a hug, "I knew you could do this on your own. You were strong from the beginning."

Samantha pulled her away from me, "Of course she is. She is her mother's daughter after all." Haley mocked her under her breath. We are going to have to work on her attitude.

Samantha grabbed the crown off of the seat and placed it on my head lightly. She pushed the pieces of hair that fell past it behind my ears. "You look beautiful."

"Are you sure?" She gave me a threatening look, "I mean I'm probably covered in blood, sweat, and tears. Also, my dress is basically torn to shreds." Haley giggled lowly behind her hand. She must agree.

"What you look like doesn't matter. It's who you are on the inside, and on the inside you are beautiful."

"Thank you, Samantha. I needed that."

"Now sit down!" I took a big breath and sat in the chair. It was soft and the arms were to high up, but it felt good. I was officially queen now. Cheers went up around the room. Reth's voice rose above the others. I contained a laugh. I needed to be professional up here. Of course he would scream to get my attention.

I reached my hand out to him and he came up to stand next to me. "How would you like to be King?"

"Well I figured I would be the one to ask if you would marry me, but I guess this works."

"I'm not proposing Reth. That is your job."

"That's not what you said earlier."

"I'm giving you another chance."

"Then," Reth pulled me to my feet and got down on his knee. He pulled a small white box out of his pocket and opened it; revealing a beautiful ring of a silver band and a glittering diamond. It looked a lot like the necklace he gave me at the ball. "Will you marry me, Annie?"

I gasped with the people around us. I knew this was coming and, yet I'm still surprised. "You pick the worst times, but I love that about you. Of course I will!"

Reth pushed the ring onto my finger and pulled me into a hug. Samantha was jumping up and down like a two year old again. Haley was screaming and spinning in circles. The crew cheered Reth on in the back of the room. They pulled him into the crowd and patted him on the back.

The women surrounded me and looked at the ring. Grace's smile revealed more of her age with wrinkles I didn't even know she had. Mary and Beth examined the beautiful ring closely. Scarlet was already thinking about dress fabric and designs. Lana ran up to Haley, they held hands and jumped up and down.
"Time to celebrate the King and the Queen!" Cam's deep voice could be heard all the way across the room. The cheers grew to a roar.

Reth escaped the guys and came over to me. He took my hand in his, "Their idea of celebrating is getting so drunk they won't know what happened in the morning."

"They can do what they want. I don't care what they do, because I have all I want."

"You melt my heart Annabelle Easton."

"You melted mine first." I pulled him down towards me. I cut off any chance of argument from him with my lips. His lips immediately devoured mine. I missed his lips, so soft and gentle against mine.