Chapter Forty~ Immortality

I closed my eyes and let the water cover me. It was soothing. A voice called to me. I listened, but could not make sense of it. It felt far away. I strained to hear it. Then I could hear it, "Annie." it said. "Annie...."

I sucked in water and surfaced, coughing as the water fell away from me. It was Reth's voice. There was no mistaking it. "Reth." I whispered. Tears streamed down my face. I was also weak when it came to him. I gave my heart to him and let the stone walls fall, but now; now that I was here, those walls built up and around my heart without him. Reths voice chiseled at the rock allowing me to let my feelings free.

I choked back the sobs and tore myself from the seeping warmth of the water. I dressed quickly and went to my room. Haley looked at me confused. "Are you okay?"

All of the food was gone, but that's okay. I wasn't hungry anymore. I fell into the bed and looked off into the red sky through the window. Haley sat on the foot of my bed, not saying a word. I was sleeping before thoughts about Reth could evade my thoughts.
"Annie..." Reths voice echoed around me. I opened my eyes to a world of white. I bolted to my feet and looked around. Nothing. "Annie." I began to panic. "Annie can you hear me?" I froze.

"Reth?"

"Finally."

The white light revealed the silhouette of a man walking towards me. As he walked towards me a field of flowers sprang up around me, until I was standing knee deep in grass and white flowers. Mountains covered the field and the sun rose slowly over them.

I gasped and fell to my knees when his face came into view. "Reth." I breathed. I could not believe my eyes. Is this just a dream? Was this like the time my parents visit me in a dream? It has to be.

Reth was not in this world, the world between, hopefully. He bent down to me. I looked up at him and touched his face. He felt real, so very real. Reths arms circled around me as I pulled him into a hug. We held each other, not daring to speak a word to break the comforting silence.

After a while Reth finally spoke, "I got your message." My body tensed against his. His arms tightened around my waist. "Samantha found me and the crew. She told me that he found you. She told me you are in the underworld. Is this true?"

"It is. I'm sorry, I should have been more careful."

"How did he find you?"

"He was Raymond. H-he changed."

"He possessed Raymond? Was Raymond Damion all along?"

"I don't know." I pulled away from him just enough to look him in the eyes. "Is Sengen okay? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Annie, don't worry about me. Sengen is better thanks to Haley. Was she bothering you this whole time?"I smiled and nodded. "That clears so many things up. She can eat, no wonder all of the food disappeared on the ship, she's like a bottomless pit!"

I laughed. It was a real laugh that I hadn't had in a while, but it died quickly once I remembered something, "Reth, I have powers. I'm immortal."

"That doesn't change anything Annie." He ran his thumbs over my lips and leaned down to me, "I love you no matter what."

He pulled me back to him and pressed his lips to mine. Not daring to let me go. "It's terrible, Reth. It means we can't be together forever. I'm going to lose you some day."

"You will never lose me."

"Why? I'm immortal Reth. That means I will not age when you will." I looked up at him.